Microwave Sooji Dhokla | How to make 5 mins Sooji Dhokla in MW

>>  Saturday, August 10, 2013

We are starting our second week of BM 31 and I will be posting dishes that are completely cooked in Microwave. 

When I decided on the theme, just to match the M word, I thought of Microwave Dishes, without even thinking how symbolic it turned out in the end. Not sure how many of you remember my MEC event, which was Microwave Easy cooking Event. However If it was still active, it would have been six years this August. Somehow that slipped my mind, just as I forgot about the blog birthday as well. Anyway I am right on time now.

When I started Cooking 4 all Seasons, I asked my readers on what sort of event I should start. I was planning on Lunch Box Series, however many wanted an event on Microwave dishes. To cut the story short, though it went on steady for so long, I stopped it last year.

So it seems to apt that I do Microwave Dishes this month. Let me take a toast to an event that was quite dear to me. And yes I always remember some of my regular participants, without whom it would have died an early death. It seems appropriate that I think of them to express my regards again. 

Life goes on, things change, people change more. Certain things will always remain the same, however much you might want too. I might have lost my mojo to write as much as I used to, on that blog, I am sure I will get it back. Cooking these dishes surely reminded me so much of those days.

Days when hubby dear used to mock that we have an expensive gadget just to reheat. Days when I used to ponder how and what else I can convert to Microwaved dishes. This event surely helped me cook many. Of course after getting back to baking, I have been using it extensively for baking. And this series got me something new as well, which you will get to read later.

Now if you followed me till here, thank you, do check out this most simplest Dhokla one can make. All under 10 mins, which is actually more. The actual cooking time was 5 mins. 

Other Dhokla Recipes:

Microwave Sooji Dhokla

Semolina / Rava / Sooji - 1 cup
Curds / Yogurt - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Red Chili powder -1/2 tsp
Red Chili Flakes - 1 tsp (adjust to your spice)
Turmeric a pinch
Carrot, grated - 1/2 - 3/4 cup
1 tsp ENO + a little more depending on the batter. It should rise fairly well.
Little oil
Buttermilk as needed
MW safe flat bowl

How to make the Microwave Sooji Dhokla

In a bowl, take all the ingredients and mix well. The consistency should quite loose and not very pouring consistency, but fairly enough.

Grease the MW bowl with oil, just before adding the batter, add the ENO. Gently stir well.

Pour the batter into the bowl and pat down.

Microwave for 3 mins. Open and turn around, again MW for 2 mins.

Let it rest for couple of mins.

Now in another MW bowl, add 1 - 2 tsp of oil, add mustard, sesame seeds. MW for 30 secs.

When done, add 2 tbsp water along with 1/4 tsp sugar. MW for 1 Min.

Once done, pour this over the cooked Dhokla.

Serve hot with sauce or green chutney.


The consistency is very important to get soft Dhokla. Though my Dhokla was soft, even while making it I thought I should have soaked the rava in curds for 10 mins. So next time I will surely soak and make again.

I didn't cover the bowl while cooking, you can see if it is needed. However as it is known each Microwave oven is different and you will have to experiment with it.

If you are not comfortable doing the tempering in MW, you can do the regular way in stove top. Since this theme demands that I do everything, I went ahead. 

Apart from mustard, Sesame, green chillies, coconut, coriander leaves can also be used for final garnish. 

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 31


Sapana Behl August 10, 2013 at 12:36 AM  

Never tried dhokla with soozi only ! This one seems quite colorful and yummy. Will try for sure.

vaishali sabnani August 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM  

Some how MW cooking is not encouraged I have never really tried the dhoklas.n I temper these with garlic n green chilly.

Preeti Garg August 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM  

Look Delicious....

Ramya Krishnamurthy August 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM  

interesting and will try this soon akka

veena krishnakumar August 10, 2013 at 2:24 PM  

I am trying this out soon Valli and this looks yumm

nayana August 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM  

sooji dhokla looks so yummy and yet so simple to make... Today's post :

Gayathri Kumar August 10, 2013 at 6:44 PM  

Looks very nice. Somehow hubby doesn't like MW and so I don't have one. Missing out a lot I think...

Priya Suresh August 11, 2013 at 1:37 AM  

Wow, thats a wonderful way to make dhoklas, loved ur MW version.

Harini-Jaya R August 11, 2013 at 5:53 AM  

Very simple and fast ..should try it sometime..

divya August 12, 2013 at 2:02 AM  

looks wonderful n yummy..

Pallavi Purani August 12, 2013 at 4:34 PM  

The one with water tadka is khaman :) I have never tried to bake anything in microwave must do it now :)

Denny August 12, 2013 at 11:17 PM  

such a quick and easy recipe, will definitely try this soon.

sushma August 13, 2013 at 7:34 PM  

Perfectly done. LOve to try this recipe soon.

Pavani N August 14, 2013 at 3:03 AM  

Yumm, dhokla looks so fluffy and delicious. Only 5 minutes, now I should definitely try this and make in the microwave.

Preetha Soumyan August 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM  

Looks delicious

Sandhya Ramakrishnan August 16, 2013 at 4:06 AM  

Srivalli, that is so simple and awesome. I never cook much in MW, but seeing all the recipes made so quickly in the MW, I am tempted.

vandana gupta August 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM  

very nice

vandana gupta August 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM  

how to make dhokla so fluffy...plz any1 tell me

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP