Vegetable Spring Rolls | How to make Crispy Springs Rolls at home

>>  Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pin It

We are starting the third week of BM # 30 and I am ready to roll, quite literally. For this week, I have decided to do dishes that are either rolled and cooked or simply rolled and served. There is a distinct beauty in seeing these dishes done and served. Though there are lots of dishes that can take up this avatar, there are some that are trademarks of being rolled.

One among them, would undoubtedly be the Spring Rolls. While spring roll goes a long way back, it is something I have never made it myself at home. I can say this has been on the list for a while. I have done similar dishes, though never with the Chinese flavors. Of course, this may not be the authentic chinese one, however this is what's served in our place and I am happy with it.
Many editions back, I had bought a packet of ready to make spring roll sheets. I had used them to make couple of dishes, though I think the outer layer didn't turn out as I expected. When I decided to make the Spring roll with ready made sheets, I wasn't prepared for the sheets to just give way. They simply refused to hold the filling and I was almost thinking I might have to give up.

Then I thought since I had so much stuffing made, I might as well make the outer layer myself. So I used the recipe I do for making frankies and the outer layer came out so well.

You need to use cold butter to rub in and just about rest for a while, and roll out. The layer comes out very crisp and thin as well. I even used tortilla bread to make the rolls, which Konda said tasted great. Well that's for another day of course.















Spring Rolls

Ingredients Needed

Onions - 1 medium
Vegetables - 2 cups (Carrot, beans, Cabbage, Capsicum)
Salt to taste
Soy Sauce -1 tsp
Pepper powder -1 tsp

For the outer layer

All purpose flour - 1 cup
Cold butter -1 tsp
Salt

Oil for deep frying.

How to make the Spring Roll

For the outer layer,

Take the flour in a bowl, add the cold butter and rub into the flour. Add salt and slowly add water to knead to a soft dough. Let it rest for 10 mins

For the stuffing

Chop all the vegetables very finely. Heat a non stick pan with oil. Saute the onion first, then add all the vegetables.

Add salt and pepper and cook till the vegetables are almost done. Add soy sauce and combine everything together.

For making the Spring Roll

Dust the board well and pinch out a ball from the dough.

Roll out to a 6 inch disc. Place the stuffing towards one end, bring the end and cover over the stuffing.

Roll over and bring the sides together on top. Then roll over tightly, making sure all the sides are sealed properly.

Gently drop into hot oil and fry on all sides.

Drain on to a kitchen towel.

Notes:

Make sure the outer layer is rolled out thin and when folding the overlapping layer is not too thick, else it will not get cooked properly.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 30


20 comments :

Chef Mireille July 17, 2013 at 5:34 AM  

I love the filling - with all those veggies

vaishali sabnani July 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM  

It is at times a task to make these sheets but I feel.... it again is a mind block.we make samosas rt...the stuffing looks lovely and these must have turned out delicious.

vaishali sabnani July 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM  

The spring rolls look so good with that lovely stuffing. I too somehow hesitate to make the sheets but home made ones are the best.

Sapana Behl July 17, 2013 at 1:41 PM  

Spring rolls looks delicious and with all these veggies a good one to munch with tea.
I also made them at home . I used to place the flour disc on hot tava for a second and then fill the stuffing . Doing so would make them like store bought.

Kalpana Sareesh July 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM  

love these stuffings..n yummy rolls

Jayanthi Padmanabhan July 17, 2013 at 5:15 PM  

Perfect appetizers and party-perfect too. Kids would love these.

Angie Schneider July 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM  

These spring rolls look mouthwatering!

rekhas kitchen July 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM  

Like that stuffing Valli and spring rolls looks so crisp.

Veena Theagarajan July 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM  

Perfect eve snack

Kalyani July 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM  

crisp and yummy ! i recently bought some spring roll wrappers here, and wudnt mind having those in the pouring monsoon here :-))

Gayathri Kumar July 19, 2013 at 3:57 AM  

Super crispy rolls. I haven't tried using store bought skins. Yours home made one looks nice...

Sandhya Ramakrishnan July 19, 2013 at 7:48 PM  

very delicious spring roll. Like you mentioned, i also have been thinking of making it at home for a long time, but never got to it. Hopefully one of these days i will make it :)

Priya Suresh July 22, 2013 at 1:32 AM  

Never get bored of this crispy rolls, just drooling here;

Harini-Jaya R July 22, 2013 at 7:13 AM  

I tried with the Phyllo sheets and they were so delicate to handle as well..It was a challenge to work with those and the ones you made sound awesome as well!

Pavani N July 22, 2013 at 11:46 PM  

Those spring rolls long great.. Making the sheets is an extra step, thankfully we get good quality sheets in Asian markets here..

Nisha Sundar July 23, 2013 at 6:30 AM  

All time fav. :) :) Should try your recipe for the outer layer. I tried once and it didn't come out good.

Preeti Garg July 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM  

Delicious and tempting

Nivedhanams Sowmya July 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM  

delicious filling... so loaded with veggies!!! looks yummy!!!
Sowmya

Bandini December 16, 2013 at 9:29 PM  

I'll surely try....looks tempting

Bandini December 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM  

Looks yummy....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP