Kuzhalappam ~ Kerala Special | How to Make Kuzhalappam | Indian Cooking Challenge - June

>>  Monday, July 15, 2013

Pin It

For the Indian Cooking Challenge in June, we decided to make Kuzhalappam, a Kerala Special. 

The recipe suggested for this month came from Priya Suresh. She pinged me to ask if I had decided the challenge and naturally she was asked to suggest something. She emailed right away with this link to Kuzhalappam, from Erivum Puliyum. Needless to say I enjoyed reading through this blog and the other recipes that authored had shared. 

Being a fried snack, I fell in love with the snack. This is the first time I am hearing about this Kerala Special. With all our familiarity with Kerala Cuisine, I was glad that there are still some that we are not aware of. I wanted to check out if this recipe has been posted by others. I found Shn and Swapna, both bloggers who feature Kerala Cuisine, have posted this.

 
So for the challenge, I listed all three recipes, as all three were different. I had noted down all three and wanted to at least try two versions. I ended up mixing the recipes in a sort and missed out making the sweet version. As always I didn't actually go through the recipe completely and when I used my finger to make the tubers, I thought that was a neat idea. 

Imagine how funny it was when I actually went through the recipe again just now and realised that's how one is supposed to make it. Julie has showed using her index finger, while I used my little finger. Naturally my littler finger must be same as her index finger!

Shn used coconut milk, and had such pretty pictures as always. However I mistook seeing her pictures that getting the dough is an easy thing. I know practice surely gets this perfect. However the last day of the challenge is never the day to experiment right. Anyway I used both coconut paste as suggested by Julie and coconut milk. Only left out was making a sweeter version of this by dipping into sugar/ jaggary syrup. I am hoping I will make this again sometime.

The coconut paste with shallot onions, garlic, gave such delicious taste to the snack. Even as I was making Peddu grabbed as much as he could and that resulted in him not having his lunch. Chinnu felt this may not be his liking, so I had to cajole him. Though the moment he ate, he was asking for more. We told him that he ought to be more adventurous in future. Konda came just now and seeing the pictures, was sad she didn't get to even taste. I had saved up some for her. And yes she was so glad she got her share. 

With just 1 and 1/2 cup of flour, you only get about 25 - 30 pieces. 












Kuzhalappam ~ Kerala Special
Adapted from Julie and referred Shn's recipe

Ingredients Needed

Rice flour -  1 and 1 / 4 cup
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Black sesame seeds - 1 tsp (I used white)

Water - 1 cup almost
Salt - 1 tsp

For the paste

Coconut 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds+ 1/3 tsp
Shallots / Small Onions - 3-4 small
Garlic - 1 big clove
Coconut Milk - 2 tbsp (you can use water if this is not available)

Oil for deep frying

How to make Kuzhalappam

To make the Coconut Paste

Wash and chop the coconut pieces, grind along with shallots, garlic, cumin seeds and coconut milk to a smooth paste. Keep it aside.

Bring the water to boil along with salt added. Simmer till the flour is roasted well.

Home made Rice flour is best for making this snack, as it has enough stickiness for the dough to hold it’s shape.

However if you are using store bought flour, make sure you keep the dough wet.

Heat a non stick pan and roast the rice flour. Keep on low medium flame until a nice aroma comes. This takes about 5-6 mins.

Now add the coconut ground mix in the roasted rice flour, remaining cumin seeds, sesame seeds and heat upto 2-3 minutes.Then add the boiled water, mix using a wooden spoon. Knead to a  soft stiff dough.

At this stage I faced problem handling the dough as it wasn't holding it’s shape. So I dusted flour and rolled out on greased broad.

There are couple of ways to roll out the disc. You can use a ziploc bag or plantain leaf, apply a thin layer of oil on it.Cover it with another ziploc bag and then roll using a rolling pin in thin round shapes.
or

Take a large ball of batter and roll it using a rolling pin, cut out even rounds with a cookie cutter of 3".

Wrap the cut round discs on your left finger. Stick the both ends to cover 1/4" only. Place on a plate/tray.

Heat oil in a wok /kadai on medium flame. Slide each of the made ones in oil. Using a slotted spoon,turn all sides to lightly brown it up evenly. Drain on a kitchen towel.

Cool and store in air tight containers.

Notes:

Couple of things that needs to be remembered while frying these snacks. As with all deep fried ones, you will need to keep adjusting the heat needs.  This can’t be fired at high flame.

Always keep the dough covered with wet muslin cloth. Make only 3 -4 at a time and fry only that in batches. The tubes need to be fully drenched in oil, so don’t crowd them.

When the two edges of the circle are pulled together and folded to seal tightly, overlapping should not be more than ¼ inch as that part takes more time to cook and crisp up to perfection, compared to rest of the thinnest parts of the tube. So while the tube is removed from your finger, make sure to press the tube to make sure all the sides are thin and not very thick.

You can dust some flour and use oil to get the dough rolling out smoothly. As this is a kerala snack, they suggest coconut oil for deep frying, I used regular cooking oil.


I request my ICC members to link their URL in the Linky tool below


6 comments :

Pavani N July 15, 2013 at 3:04 AM  

I missed this month's challenge -- it was a little busy with my husband travelling and then all of us leaving for a 2 day trip.
Those kuzhalappam look yummy. I especially like the coconut masala addition, must have made them so yummy. Will try some time.

Veena Theagarajan July 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM  

so yummy and crispy

Nivedita Thadani July 15, 2013 at 2:22 PM  

I LOVED MAKING THESE, AND ME TOO LOVED THE ADDITION OF COCONUT,
LOOKING FORWARD FOR MORE CHALLENGES.

Corporate to Kitchen July 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM  

These are my hubby's fav & loved ur step by step process. I want to join this challenge Valli. Can I join & how?

vaishali sabnani July 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM  

Oh these look so good mine were a little oily but with a wonderful taste. step by step as usual are a great help.

Preeti Garg July 16, 2013 at 5:49 PM  

Look wonderful and thanks for giving us this chance to try this wonderful snack in own kitchen..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP