Daal Moong with Satpura ~ A Sindhi Special

>>  Thursday, July 11, 2013

Pin It

For the second day of Combo Dishes, I selected to make Daal Moong with Satpura, a typical combination from the Sindhi Cuisine. As expected this was suggested by Vaishali and I went on to search for the recipe. Somehow this didn't turn out in the search and I had to ask her for the link. checking this, I was really intrigued as the dal is a sort of assembled dish.

Vaishali says Daal moong is a typical Sindhi breakfast, however in recent times with many preferring lighter breakfast, this combination has shifted to lunch. I do agree on this, having made this for the lunch today. The dal was superb and the rotis were spicy and heavy . The dal is a combination of two dals cooked separately, garnished with spices, raw onions and chutneys. The final mix of all the assembled ingredients makes a it a feast!

I was supposed to make it for dinner yesterday, however with a party I couldn't manage. So I was all geared up to make this for my lunch. When kids left for school, I started making this. Though the process sounds lengthy, you can make the dal quite quickly. I always feel that a dish takes forever as I end up clicking each step. And feel the actual dish is very simple and would think I would actually know how simple when I make it again. As always there are so many new dishes to make that I wonder if I get back to the same one, that captured your fancy.

This dal becomes very easy if you have the chutneys handy. So do try this out and enjoy. I surely enjoyed it.

















Daal Moong with Satpura
Adapted from Vaishali 

For the yellow daal

Split Yellow moong daal - 1/2 cup
Turmeric a pinch
Salt to taste
Water 1 cup

Wash the dal, add turmeric powder and pressure cook till the dal is soft.
Once the pressure is off, add salt and mash well with a churner.

For the Green Moong Dal

Green gram dal / Moong Dal - 1/2 cup
Turmeric a pinch
Salt to taste

Wash and pressure cook with turmeric.
Once the pressure falls, remove add salt and churn well to get a soft and well cooked dal.

Spice garnish

Red chilli powder
Coriander powder
Aamchoor powder
Garam masala

Other garnishes

Finely chopped onion
Green chutney
Sweet imli chutney

Tempering
Ghee/ Oil - 2 tsp
Shahi jeere / cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp

Assembling the dal

In a serving bowl put a layer of moong.

Another layer of cooked yellow daal.
Add one spoonful of green chutney, Sweet Imli Chutney over the dals, add the finely chopped onions.

Over this, sprinkle spices generously since the dal doesn't have any spice at all.

Heat ghee add shahi jeera/ jeera. Once they crackle, pour on spices.

Serve with Satpura.

The satpura

The satpura is a layered paratha. Sat means ‘seven’ and pur means ‘layers’. It is made from regular chapatti dough.

Ingredients Needed:

Wheat flour 1 cup
Salt to taste
Ghee - 1 tsp
Red chili powder - 1 tsp

Knead a soft dough with just enough water. Make a big ball and roll it out to a thick disc.

Smear with ghee, sprinkle salt, red chili powder and flour. Spread it ont he disc. Cut strips.

Place the strips one on top of the other, roll and bring them together to form a ball. Dust and roll it out again

Heat a tawa and cook the roti on both sides with oil.

Serve with dal.
Notes:

The original recipe calls for Cardamon powder to be added to the yellow dal, I skipped. Also Vaishali asks for the yellow dal to be soaked, I normally never soak as pressure cooking does the job.

Though you end up mixing the entire setup in the dal, I wished it stayed the different layers before clicking. so maybe I should have a thicker dal. It again depends how thick you want your dal to be.

For the dal, I forgot to add Coriander powder and Amchoor. Next time I will surely add them.

This combination turned out to be deadly! The rotis were spicy and the mild dal was a perfect combination. I was really so happy I tried this.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 30


15 comments :

Nivedhanams Sowmya July 11, 2013 at 5:53 PM  

as you have said - the combination is looking deadly.. awesome is the word!!
Sowmya
Event - Flavors of Germany/Savory
Event - VFAM–Onions

Priya Suresh July 11, 2013 at 5:55 PM  

I have already tried satpura from Sindhi Rasoi, but daal moong havent tried with satpura, now u r pulling me to make this combo.

divya July 11, 2013 at 8:15 PM  

looks sooo yummy...

Manju Modiyani July 11, 2013 at 8:24 PM  

Moong is my favorite! Its looking to delicious with that onions and spices tempering. :)

kumars kitchen July 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM  

yummm looking satpuras, so crisp and very filling, would love to have some with warm ghee, awesome :-)

Manjula Bharath July 12, 2013 at 11:32 AM  

thats a delicious combo .. It is a sure to try and enjoy recipe :)

Harini-Jaya R July 13, 2013 at 6:34 AM  

Lovely combo! I had initially planned to make this as well , but in the last minute due to some plans at home, couldn't go thru. I hope I can make these in the future!

Pavani N July 13, 2013 at 8:01 AM  

That is such a yummy combo. Satpuras look flaky and delicious. Will try soon.

rekhas kitchen July 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM  

Mouthwatering cobo this is in my list too. you made the satpuro so perfectly Valli. now it's my turn let'see how Iam going to make them.

vaishali sabnani July 14, 2013 at 9:14 AM  

Perfectly made:)) yes the Dalal's havetobeslightly thicker, and I soak the Dalal's because even after washing they lend a peculiar smell..but if soaked thesmellis not there.It is all about your style.do try with aamchoor pwd..which gives a super taste.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan July 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM  

I missed making this combo for the event. I also wanted to try out Vaishali's recipe. in fact that is the only recipe that pops out when you search for this combo. Now there will be yours coming up as well. I will definitely make this combo soon!

Preeti Garg July 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM  

Look inviting and tasty

sushma July 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM  

Looks delicious.....never tasted satpura pulka. Will do it soon.

Chef Mireille July 17, 2013 at 1:31 AM  

satpura is totally new to me. wld def like to try it

Gayathri Kumar July 18, 2013 at 6:56 AM  

Dal moong is completely new to me. I have bookmarked this and am going to try it soon. The combo looks absolutely delicious...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP