Churros with Chocolate Sauce | How to make Eggless Churros

>>  Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pin It

We are starting the BM 30th Edition today. Never thought we would come this far when I started this marathon in 2011. However this has really got in so much in terms of friends, learning and what not. And I have also realized that when you focus and plan well, things work out fine.

Though planning on the themes are either abrupt or well thought of, finally after taking up a theme, it takes lot of efforts to match the recipe to the theme. The base rule being one can't simply share a simple recipe, however if it's cuisine specific, one can still do as a learning referance. On this front, we have learnt so much and still willing to learn more.

For the first week, I decided to do Kid's Delight Finger Food for Kid's party. This edition is hosted by Kalyani and I selected to do this as it ends up being the most wanted theme at my place. Unlike the last couple of months, I am starting this edition without any preparation. Though today's recipe is a spill out of many months ago, meaning I had selected to make this for a different theme, I couldn't do it.

So even though the recipes were not so well planned out as I normally do, I had this in mind as it was in the pending list. Imagine making this just before the dinner time and risking the dinner not being eaten. I had to take a chance as I had no time left and the fact that this needs to be approved.

When I set out to make, I realized this was exactly our Muruku, albiet with a western touch. Needless to say it was liked very much. As always one person who wouldn't touch such dishes was Chinnu. He refused to partake even a bit and rushed inside to avoid being forced fed. While Konda and Peddu loved it. For a moment I thought Peddu didn't like the chocolate sauce, however when he dipped it with the churros, he was very happy.

I wanted to make a sample and check out if my kids will like this. I can surely bookmark as their evening snack. Very quick to make and it will disappear as quickly as you made!

Sending this to my Kid's Delight event, hosted by Kalyani themed on Finger Foods for Kid's Party

Traditionally Churros are made with Eggs, to read more about the origin, check out the post on Wiki . Making this eggless wasn't much of a problem. Since I remember taking this from an old collection, that said American quick snacks, I assume this was from America. However one of my FB friends, pointed out that this is actually Spanish Origin. So I ended up reading on the article now, which I should have done before..:)







Churros with Chocolate Sauce

Ingredients Needed

All purpose flour / Maida - 1 cup
Baking powder -1 tsp
Olive oil - 1 tsp
Salt a pinch

Oil for deep frying

For sprinkling on the top

Castor Sugar / Icing sugar - 2 tsp
Cinnamon powder 1/2 tsp

For the Chocolate Sauce

Dark Chocolate - 2 slabs
Milk Chocolate - 2 slabs
Icing Sugar - 2 tsp
Honey - 1 tsp
Cream - 2 tsp

Piping mould / Muruku achu- Single star

How to make the churros

In a bowl, take the flour along with baking powder, salt and slowly add water to knead to a soft dough.

Heat a kadai with oil for deep frying, simmer until your dough is ready.

Fill the dough into the muruku achu fitted with a single star mould.

When the oil is hot, reduce to medium flame, and keeping the press over the oil, press it down into the oil.

You can cut it when it falls to the required length.

Fry on all sides to a golden colour. Drain on to a kitchen towel.

When you are done with the entire batch, sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon powder on the top and serve with chocolate sauce.

How to make the Honey Chocolate Sauce

MW the chocolate bars till soft. It took me a minute to get it soft.

Mix in the cream, sugar and honey and beat well.

Serve with churros.


Notes:

For the churros, if you want you can press out the churros on a plate and drop them gently into the oil. Since it expands very quickly you have more dough then you started with. Dont knead it back, instead simply try to put it back. This way the churros have air bubbles inside and still stays crispy.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 30


16 comments :

Kalyani July 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM  

my kid loves Churros, and while it was always store bought for her, thanks for posting an eggless version here Valli - bookmarking !

Kalyani
Sizzling Tastebuds
Join us at Magic Mingle with Kiwi & Basil
Hosting Kids Delight – Party Food event

Gujarati Zaika July 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM  

nice kid's friendly recipe...
Hi Srivalli,
I would like to part in next BM event.....

vaishali sabnani July 3, 2013 at 6:02 PM  

Kids surely will love anything with chocolate. churros look nice and crunchy.

Gayathri Kumar July 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM  

This has been in my to do list for long Valli. Your recipe looks very simple and my daughter would love it...

Jayanthi Padmanabhan July 3, 2013 at 7:01 PM  

Really cute nicknames for your kids.. Chinnu sounds like my son.. :) Nice quick recipe

Sapana Behl July 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM  

Eggless churros are perfect for kids ! Looks great..

Corporate to Kitchen July 3, 2013 at 8:12 PM  

Churros look very nice Valli. I have been postponing making this. Ur post is definitely tempting me to make . The problem is that my son is very little & he will eat very little so I end up eating the most. As it is my weight is just on a increasing trend:)

Anu Shoj July 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM  

very nice and kids will luv this..
Anu's Healthy Kitchen - Broken Wheat, Oats, Almonds and Coconut Ladoo

Priya Suresh July 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM  

Churros and chocolate sauce, a prefect pair, super like.

divya July 4, 2013 at 4:11 AM  

looks soo yummy..

Harini-Jaya R July 4, 2013 at 7:11 AM  

Perfect for the kids! We adults also can indulge once in a while!

Veena Theagarajan July 4, 2013 at 11:48 AM  

my fav looks good

Padmajha PJ July 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM  

Both of us are sailing in the same boat this week Srivalli :).
And this snack is something that will lil one will love,esp with that chocolate sauce!

Arthy Suman July 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM  

u made it so perfect...looks so easy

Pavani N July 6, 2013 at 8:15 AM  

One of our favorite snack to buy when we go out.. Yours looks amazing.. they came out great Valli. I son likes these.

Chef Mireille July 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM  

they are very popular in America because of the Mexican immigrants. these are a popular street food here in NY sold by Mexicans. I have been planning on making them for a long time. I am glad you all liked them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP