Cheesy Onion Mini Focaccia

>>  Friday, July 5, 2013

Pin It

As I said this week it seems to be late night cooking and very late night blogging. Not that I am complaining. I almost thought I might not be able to make it tonight. However managed at the last moment. The tantalizing aroma of a baked bread, sneaking out, is not something one can miss. I was so sorely tempted.

Ever since I saw these in Priya's space I was sure I was going to make these for the Kid's party. I halved the recipe and made couple of modification. Maybe my modifications were so much that these may not qualify to be called Focaccia. Since these doubled up and I did't exactly flatten them during the final raise.

However the taste of caramelised onions, gooey cheese and spicy chili flakes, is not something I am going to complain. My only disappointing factor was that I am left all alone to taste this beauty! Kids are asleep and other elders are ready to hit the bed. I reluctantly stored it away to be warmed up and served tomorrow!

Bread baking as been a sort of elusive thing to me all these days. Meaning yeast acts up on me, when I decide to bake a bread. Though pizza dough has never given me a problem, bread seems to sulk when I handle it. So it was such a wonderful thought that this bread finally worked right after so many years. The last time I was successfully baking bread was during my college days.

So finally when the yeast became friendly, I am now encouraged to use it more. Though it's claimed that one has to use measuring vessels to handle baking, I have always done with eyeball and instinct. Somehow I didn't think it might work with yeast, with us still not being so friendly with each other.

Now I can safely say, I will be embarking on this venture!

I implore you try this yourself for a sinful indulgence if you are a cheese lover!







Cheesy Onion Mini Focaccia
Adapted from Priya

Ingredients Needed

All purpose flour / Maida - 1 & 1/2 cup
Active dry yeast - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Warm water - 1 cup
Onion (chopped) - 1/2 cup
Butter - 1 tbsp
Salt for cooking the onions
Olive oil - 2 tbsp
Chili flakes
Grated cheese (for topping) - 2 tbsp

How to bake the Mini Focaccia

Prepare the yeast by mixing in warm water to the yeast along with sugar. Cover and let it froth.

In a wide bowl, take the all purpose flour, add the foaming yeast, salt and mix everything well.

It will be stickly at this point, transfer the them to lightly floured surface, add olive oil, knead for a while until they turn as a soft dough.

Coat a deep bowl with olive oil, place the soft dough also brush with more oil, cover it and let it sit for an hour in a warm place.

Punch down the doubled dough and divide the dough as 7-8 balls, knead the dough again and make a medium sized circle like disc.

Arrange the flattened disc in a baking sheet lined over a baking tray. Let it rest for 15 mins.

Meanwhile heat the oil, saute well the chopped onion till it turns colour.

The dough will doubled again in size. Press the dough gently in the centre with your fingertips, just spread the sautéed onion over the dough.

Gently sprinkle the grated cheese over the onion mixture.

Preheat the oven to 185 C, place the baking tray, bake for 15-20 minutes or else until the dough turns slightly brown.. After baking for 15 mins, remove and do a butter glaze.



Sending this to my Kid's Delight event, hosted by Kalyani themed on Finger Foods for Kid's Party

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 30


13 comments :

Rafeeda AR July 5, 2013 at 11:46 PM  

Wow...love the flavors!!! :)

Akila July 5, 2013 at 11:52 PM  

melt in mouth foccasia...

Shree July 6, 2013 at 12:57 AM  

they look yummy indeed !

Gayathri Kumar July 6, 2013 at 5:56 AM  

They look very nice Valli. Can imagine the lovely taste of caramelised onions and cheese...

Pavani N July 6, 2013 at 8:11 AM  

Those mini focaccias look so cute Valli. I'm sure kids loved them. Will try for my son soon.

Ramya Krishnamurthy July 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM  

looking cute and caramelised onions tastes really good

Hasna Hamza Layin July 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM  

Caramelised onions nd cheese is a luvly combo though... :-)

Arthy Suman July 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM  

yummy looking

Sapana Behl July 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM  

Looks great !can I have one or two...a please!

Priya Suresh July 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM  

Thats wonderful to see u have baked some focaccia Valli..They looks cute.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan July 8, 2013 at 2:55 AM  

I have Focaccia in my list for the savory bakes! these mini ones looks really delicious and it is a lovely way to serve the kids.

Corporate to Kitchen July 8, 2013 at 8:01 AM  

good to know that yest & u have become friends now:) The dish looks yummy. How do you manage to stay up late & cook dear. Hatts off to your patience & interest.

Chef Mireille July 12, 2013 at 7:16 AM  

Baking really is an exact science and less adaptable than other cooking so to become expert baker I believe in measuring although my Mom makes cake without measuring a single thing - I never learned that skill

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP