Matar Luchi, Badam Shrikhand | Peas Stuffed Maida Pooris with Almond Shrikhand

>>  Friday, May 3, 2013

I know we just finished a month long marathon. However it didn't feel so and I almost jumped back to making the next edition. I guess it all had to do with the fact that I choose to make Indian Breads. If there was one category that I really loved, it surely would be Indian Breads. Especially with the fact that I selected to make pooris for the first day. 

For the next edition of BM# 28, I choose to make Indian Bread. This had a twist again, where I decided to ask everybody to make Indian Bread with a condition. Each day had to be one with Deep fried, a bread with stuffed and finally with something blended. I started with a fried bread and of course I love all my fried dishes. Unlike others, I never had qualms in feeding my kids fried dishes, especially pooris. Only my boys don't like pooris. I know it's hard to believe, but very true. 

The only time I could get them eat pooris is on a Sunday, with pretext that there is Channa to accompany. Chinnu used to refer it as Chennai Poori. Seeing how much he liked this combination, I thought I could easily pack this for their lunch during school. Only I was surprised to hear him that he doesn't want Pooris for lunch as it's oily. Peddu anyway had a hard time eating on normal days. So I can make pooris only on Sunday and I knew they may not like Luchis.

Knowing I love pooris, it was a given fact that I love luchis. The first time I had luchis were when we had gone to visit parents in culcatta. We were invited for a feast by our parents neighbours and I will forever remember the matar luchis we were treated. I loved Bengali food. Period. 

So when I decided to make deep fried Indian Bread, I knew I had to make this again. In fact I had earlier had made stuffed peas puris with a different stuffing and different method. Stuffed Peas seems to be a thing with me as I had made stuffed peas paratha, that had a different set of memories associated. 

Now coming back to the luchis in hand, these were so delicious that you can hardly stop with just two!

I served with Almond Shrikhand and Pickle. It was really a breakfast fit for kings!

Matar Luchis

Matar Luchi | Luchis stuffed with Peas

Ingredients Needed

For the dough

All purpose flour / Maida -  2 cups
Salt to taste
Water to knead
Oil for deep-frying

For the Filling

Grind together
Fresh shelled peas, boiled - 1
Hing / Asofoetida  a pinch
Roasted Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Green chilies - 2 long
Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp (if required)
Salt to taste

How to make the Luchis

Knew the dough and keep it covered with wet muslin cloth. 

For the dough,

Mw the peas for 5 mins, drain the water, add all the ingredients and grind to a smooth paste.

When you are ready to make the luchis, pinch out balls from the dough, flatten in middle, place the stuffing, cover on all sides and make sure you seal it well.

Heat a kadai with oil.

Dust the balls well and roll out gently making sure you don't press out the stuffing out.

Gently drop into hot oil and cook on both sides.

When the luchis turn golden, drain to a kitchen towel

Matar Luchis

Almond Shrikhand

Ingredients Needed

Hung Curds - 1 cup
Milk - 1/2 cup
Icing Sugar -  4- 5 tsp
Almonds - 12 whole

How to make the Shrikhand

Blanch the almonds in mw for 3 mins. Remove the skin.

Grind the almonds with milk to a smooth paste.

Add this paste to the hung curds. You can follow the process for making Shrikhand.

Blend the milk paste to the curds along with icing sugar and mix everything together.

Refrigerate until serving.

Serve with Luchis and Pickle.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 28


Pavani N May 3, 2013 at 3:29 AM  

What a delicious combo. Both of them sound so rich and yummy!! Would love to try them.

divya May 3, 2013 at 4:19 AM  

oh wow...Mouthwatering tempting and delicious!

vaishali sabnani May 3, 2013 at 5:15 AM  

I remember when I first made Luchi, I loved it, it surely is a recipe to die for, I am glad you don't have any fried phobia, unlike me, I love this stuffed version, and you have fusioned Gujju and Bengali so well..

Wer SAHM May 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM  

nic combo of peas kachori with badam shrikand.... nicely done too....

nayana May 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM  

super hit combo, spicy and sweet , must be very delicious....

Foodiliciousnan May 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM  

I to became a fan of matar luchi when I had it first at a Bengali restaurant. Not sure if I'd have work with almond srikhand though even though I'd love that separately

Nupur May 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM  

delicious Pooris Srivalli

Am so surprised your kids dont like them, lucky you are ! We were such a thief for Pooris when Mum made them.. your kids really spare you all the hard work :)

Deepak Saagar Kalaikadal May 3, 2013 at 8:57 PM  

I have never tried Luchis, though I have plenty of Bengali friends around here. They seem to be cook-a-phobic. I guess, I will go with your recipe one day and give it a shot!

Preeti Garg May 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM  

I tried simple luchi.. but this peas flavors love it.

Spandana May 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM  

Looks so delicious!!! Nice and interesting combination.

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi May 4, 2013 at 1:54 AM  

Interesting combo! Love those luchis!!

Cathleen May 4, 2013 at 4:01 AM  

Ooh, yum! This is completely new to me, but it looks fantastic! I would love to try this right now!

veena krishnakumar May 4, 2013 at 6:49 AM  

For some strange reason Vibha does not like puri. But may be she will like this. This looks absolutely delicious valli and I live the almond srikhand more

sushma May 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM  

Wow mouthwatering dish Valli. Must try recipe for me.

spicyrecipes May 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM  

Healthy and delicious. .

Chef Mireille May 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM  

what a yummy breakfast!!!

Kalyani May 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM  

Luchis take me straight to Kolkata. and although I have never made these, and only eaten, makes me want to try... will check out a small batch though.. bookmarked !

Sizzling Tastebuds
Event : MLLA # 59 + giveaway
Magic Mingle # 17

cookcookandcook May 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM  

A superb dish for breakfast or maybe a sunday brunch.. looks perfect..

Padmajha PJ May 8, 2013 at 12:14 AM  

Fried stuffs are always a hit here. I made soemthing similar a few days back and lil angel loved it so much as she is a fan of puris and green peas.
And mutter luchi and almond srikhand is an interesting combo!

Sapana Behl May 20, 2013 at 6:14 PM  

Both dishes looks fabulous and a great combo..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP