Meetha Chutney | Sweet Dates and Tamarind Chutney | Khajur Imli Chutney for Chats

>>  Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pin It

Meetha Chutney or Sweet Dates Tamarind Chutney is one of those mostly widely used chutneys in almost all chats. We can simply make a big box of this and use it on all or any chat and I am sure you will love it more. I made this chutney during the chat series and I was able to manage many of the chats that followed. The dabeli tasted awesome more because of this inclusion, not to mention the Burger Tikki Chat or the Vada Pav

Apart from this recipe, I have couple of more variations, each one adding to it's unique taste. for Bhel I make two types of Imli Chutney, one Tamarind chutney that doesn't call for much of a chutney and the other with dates and Dry red chilies. For Samosas, the tamarind chutney that's made is again different as it has syrup sort of texture. That's for another day for sure.

When I had made these for the chats, Konda loved it. I am waiting for the time when the boys would like it as well. Talking of whom, they again bunked school today and tomorrow being the last working day, I am hoping they will go. Their class teacher said it's ok since they are so small. She promised to teach them once the school reopens. But I was getting worried not because they are missing out so many lessons, but missing time spent at school. I know there is still time to think about studying. 

Come Monday we are not sure how to engage the boys. Lucky for me, I will be off to work! Only my ears might bloat when I return home, Athamma will make sure I hear everything of what they did and it will mostly be complaints, so I could miss it I feel. My sil are planning to visit us, so waiting for their visits so that kids can enjoy their stay. That reminds me, we are yet to plan for menus, I am sure hubby dear will decide as he does every year.

Well enough of my rambling, back to the Meetha Chutney which was sweet enough to make the Vada Pav more tasty!









Dates Tamarind Chutney | Khajur Imli Chutney

Ingredients Needed

Tamarind, seedless - 1 big lemon size
Dates, pitted - 1/2 cup (10 nos)
Jaggery, grated - 1/2 cup
Water - 2 cups
Fennel - 1 tsp
Roasted Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Kala Namak a pinch
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp

How to make Khajur Imli Chutney

Wash the tamarind and keep it aside. In a pressure cooker, take the tamarind, dates, and jaggary, add water. Pressure cook for 2 -3 whistles. Once done, allow the pressure to fall down.

Then allow to cool, add more water and mix well. Strain it through a sieve to remove all the impurities if any

Dilute with more water and put it back to be cooked. Add the spices along with salt Bring to boil.

Simmer and continue cooking until you get a smooth paste.

Cool and store in an airtight container, use as required.




Notes:

Make sure you cook the chutney for while, so that all the water is evaporated and the chutney is thick.
This way on refrigeration, it stays over weeks nearly. It's been nearly a month since I made this, it's still fresh and good.



Logo courtesy : Preeti

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 27


9 comments :

Amrita Roy April 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM  

lovely tangy chutny

Priya Suresh April 26, 2013 at 2:37 AM  

My most favourite chutney,love with samosas,am drooling here..Seriously need some samosas to have with it..Delicious visual treat.

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi April 26, 2013 at 5:12 AM  

Love it! I also will be posting my version of this amazing chutney!!

Suma Gandlur April 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM  

Love this sweet - tart chutney.

Corporate to Kitchen April 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM  

Very yummy relish! Slurrrp

vaishali sabnani April 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM  

my curd is incomplete without this chutney..and Valli..looking at that chola burger..I feel like eating..in fact have made cholas..let me call up hubby and ask him to get the buns..rest of the ingredients are there:))

Pavani N April 27, 2013 at 7:05 AM  

I recently made this at home for the very first time and loved it.. Tangy, sweet and slightly spicy -- its a party in the mouth feeling.

Archana Potdar April 28, 2013 at 10:39 PM  

This is my hubbys favourite chutney. I love the chola pav that u have made. Ne to me. Must try

Preeti Garg May 2, 2013 at 5:21 PM  

Yummy Chutney

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP