Mango Kulfi with Palkova | Indian Mango Ice Cream with Khoya

>>  Wednesday, April 17, 2013

After the winter recipe that I shared yesterday, it's going to be Summer special dishes that suit our current weather to the T. It's been unbelievably hot the past few days, I am normally not a person who feels cold or hot that soon (well you still can't cal me thick skinned!), even I am feeling the heat right now. Well that only calls for more Ice creams right!

This was also because of what Chinnu told me after he ate the Chocolate Sundae. He opened the freezer and saw lot of frozen milk packets. Very solemnly he came up and asked what I was planning to do with those frozen milk. I asked him back what he has in mind as a suggestion. For which he replied that, instead of wasting those milk packets, I could do ice cream for him! Well I decided his statement just locked the idea of what I had already planned. 

As I always say, they only like chocolates. However how many ice creams with chocolate can I make. So thought something with mangoes should be good with the season on. This also came about because Athamma told me that Peddu had asked when we would get them Mangoes. Now that made me get them the same day and I made Kulfi the very day with Palvoka. Everybody loved it so much and it was so creamy as well.

The mangoes as such weren't sweet, but as kulfi it was so delicious. I was supposed to get khova, however for that I had to again visit a shop that only sells khova in kgs and not in grams. The last time I visited that shop and asked for 250 gms, he really gave me a look. I said how much would I want for a home made ice cream. He replied that his customers always bought in kgs. I said I wasn't running a shop nor would I be using litres and litres of milk. 

Anyway I finally convinced him to part with just 1/4 kg and proceed to make some kulfis. This was a year back. I didn't really want to step into the same shop to meet the same treatment. Instead I simply got Palvoka, which is actually sweeten khova. Now it's even better that I don't have to bother adding sugar. After cooking, the sweetness was more than enough.

Sending this to Pavani, who is hosting Kid's Delight, themed on "5 Ingredient Fix"

Mango Kulfi 

Ingredients Needed

Mango pulp - 2 cups
Palkova - 100 gms
Milk - 100 ml
Cardamom powder a pinch

How to make Mango Kulfi

Wash and peel mongo to extract pulp. Keep it aside.

Boil Milk and once it's boiled, simmer it khoya and cardamom powder till khoya dissolves.

Remove from fire, cool well and add mango pulp. Mix well.

Transfer to a freezing tray and freeze till it sets.


These are normally set in kulfi moulds. But I served it more as an ice cream

If you are using moulds, make sure to immerse in hot bowl and then gently tap to remove the frozen dessert.

If you refer you can garnish with chopped nuts on top

If you want to use just Khoya, then add about 1/2 cup and follow the same method

Logo courtesy : Preeti

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 27


Amrita Roy April 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM  

Cool kulfi...

Preeti Garg April 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM  

What a wonderful kulfi... good for summers

Foodiliciousnan April 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM  

adding palkova to make kulfi. This is seriously fusion food at its best. This is so tempting Valli!!!

Shanthi April 18, 2013 at 12:54 AM  

nicely done..yummy...

Priya Suresh April 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM  

Suddenly its too hot here, wish to get a huge bowl of this droolworthy kulfi..delicious.

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi April 18, 2013 at 7:37 AM  

Looks so tempting!! I am so tempted to get some mangoes right now!! But the mangoes here are not so sweet yet.

Suma Gandlur April 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM  

Droolworthy dessert, Valli. Love the idea of adding palkhova.
Valli you should do summer themes when we have summer in our parts. :)

Nivedhanams Sowmya April 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM  

would definetely want the entire bowl for this hot summer here!!! nice addition of khova..
Event - Bake Fest
Event - Celebrate - Summer

Sapana Behl April 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM  

Loved mango flavors in kulfi...

Archana Potdar April 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM  

Cool kulfi. Unfortunately no one at home eats mago ice cream or kulfi. This one is just for mEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! I am fortunate no sharing. :)

Nalini's Kitchen April 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM  

Wonderful idea Valli,using paalkova in kulfi looks so delicious and awesome,feel like grabbing it..

The Pumpkin Farm April 18, 2013 at 9:57 PM  

this is gem of a recipe, simply superb, i read it on FB this morning and was itching to go through it...its lovely

Pavani N April 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM  

Lovely post Valli. Had fun reading your plight at the wholesale khoya shop :-)
Adding palkova to kulfi is a genius idea, it must have tasted amazing.

Pallavi Purani April 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM  

What a stunning fusion. Love it.

Suchi Sm April 23, 2013 at 1:13 PM  

Wat an refreshing desert for summer... mango addition is so inviting valli..,,

Manju April 26, 2013 at 5:25 AM  

wonderful idea of adding palkova for ice cream.

veena krishnakumar May 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM  

ippo time you dush out something like this, please bring it in a separate container to your office. will pick it from ther:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP