Healthy Colourful Paratha | Beets and Carrot Paratha ~ Easy Lunch Box Recipe for Kids

>>  Saturday, April 6, 2013

When you are planning a birthday party, you have to make sure you have all the courses included. Of course, many times even though you are over enthusiastic to assume everything on the table gets vanished, there is always a lot that's left over. And more so with my kids, with none of them liking rice, I didn't want to include any rice based dish for the party.

Let by themselves, they would have selected only Chat items or chocolate dishes, but I had to make something on the lines or rice or parathas. Since rice was out of question, I decided to make some stuffed parathas. With my boys refusing to eat anything that looks like a vegetable to them, I had to sneak the vegetables somehow. 

That's when I thought I should use the vegetable puree and sneak it into their dish. I had been planning on making these colourful pooris for a long time. Then I thought I might as well make a paratha with different colours. I selected carrots and beets. Athamma reminded me that I should have added spinach as well to make it green. I completely forgot that our spinach plant is sprouting back. Anyway that's for another day.

I started with carrots and then went on with beets. It was fun working on these parathas. While I was busy making these, I came to know that boys teacher had told them that they ought to drink healthy drinks and healthy food that included vegetables. Peddu was after me to make something right away with beets, as his teacher told him that it's healthy. I had to convince him to hold on for a while, as I was anyway making a paratha with it.

After making this colourful paratha, which Konda liked. While the boys refused to touch. Peddu was okay to have an entire paratha made with just beets, so had to make him that. Konda said she liked the paratha, however she said the taste was as of potato. Well to please these kids, I might have to stand upside down, if only that was possible. Anyway I told her that I was aiming at making it look pretty, I know it's tasty and on top it's healthy. Now who am I trying convince? 

If your kids are goody dolls, they would surely love these. I am sure I will have to try these again on my boys.


Healthy Colourful Paratha

Ingredients Needed:

Carrot puree - 1/2 cup
Beets puree - 1/2 cup
Wheat flour - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Red chili flakes -1  tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Ghee - 1 tsp
Oil for cooking

How to make the parathas

Peel and cut the carrots into smaller pieces. Pulse to get a puree. Transfer to a bowl. Add salt, spice, cumin powder and wheat flour. Mix well. Add flour and continue kneading till you get a soft dough.

Cut the beets and get a puree by adding little water. Make a dough with the beets by add spice, salt and wheat flour. Keep it aside.

Make the regular dough and pinch out small balls from all the three doughs.

Roll out the balls into long ropes, then holding all three together, make it into a ball. Dust with flour and roll out a disc.

Heat a tawa and grease with oil. Once it's hot, cook the paratha on both sides.

Serve with curds and pickle. 


You can also add spinach puree to add green colour to this.

This makes a great lunch box recipe as your kids will love the colourful

Photo Credit : Preeti

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 27


Suchi Sm April 6, 2013 at 7:41 PM  

Yummy Healthy colorful parathas.... loved ur pro-ceder sure gonna put my hands to try these nutri paratha..

Arthy Suman April 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM  

im sure kids would love to have this....perfecto

Veena Theagarajan April 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM  

wow good idea to combine 3 flavours together

Priya Suresh April 6, 2013 at 9:56 PM  

Beautiful and super catchy tri colour paratha..

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi April 7, 2013 at 12:38 AM  

That is a neat idea Valli. Very colorful indeed. My little one rejected my idea of colorful paratha :(

Nalini's Kitchen April 7, 2013 at 2:03 AM  

nice and colorful paratha,kids would love it for sure...

Sandhya Ramakrishnan April 7, 2013 at 9:06 AM  

What a lovely paratha! kids would love this..Forget kids I would love to have the colors in my meal...My next paratha is going to be this :)

vaishali sabnani April 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM  

Spinach surely would have made it colorful, but still they look cute..I have stopped all these as the kids eat most veggies..and prefer stuffed parathas.
For sure a perfect one for kids !

The Pumpkin Farm April 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM  

wow Valli, this is my types recipe, i totally freak out on anything colorful and creative while cooking, bookmarking

Mina Joshi April 8, 2013 at 12:05 AM  

I love the three combinations..

Pavani N April 8, 2013 at 6:49 AM  

Loved those colorful parathas Valli. Great way to sneak in veggies for kids.

Teena Mary April 9, 2013 at 3:33 AM  

wow..that is definitely a creative one!! Kids will love for sure! :)

Rajani S April 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM  

I love the colourful parathas, but still its difficult to get kids to eat them, no idea why!! My son refused to eat beetroot parathas though it tasted good.. Hope you had more success with beetroot juice :)

Pallavi Purani April 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM  

What an interesting mix of colors :)

Manju April 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM  

Lovely colors, haven't tred with beetroot except me no one likes beetroot here. Nice idean

Archana Potdar April 13, 2013 at 3:46 PM  

Hmm I have not tried this kind of paratha. Looks colourful. Will look yum and sure will tatse great.

Suma Gandlur April 14, 2013 at 3:58 AM  

Like a marbled cake, these look pretty. My daughter too doesn't care for any rice dishes unless it is lemon rice full of peanuts. :)

Nivedhanams Sowmya April 24, 2013 at 12:34 PM  

lovely idea!!! i looked at the picture and was wondering how you got the perfect color until i saw your stepwise!! thanks for sharing the delicious and kid friendly paratha!!
Event - Bake Fest
Event - Celebrate - Summer

Priya August 20, 2013 at 7:21 PM  

Wow! nicely done. Would make a picky eater gobble this one up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP