Easy Godhumai Halwa in Pressure Cooker


For today's traditional dishes, I had decided to make another version of Godhumai Halwa. Though I have already made this two times, I had short-listed two more versions. One with wheat flour and extracting milk from it. Another one a quick recipe in pressure cooker. I think this recipe is from Chitra Vish of Indus Ladies. I wanted to make as instructed but somehow missed doing that step and ended up making it differently.

This recipe calls for adding the ingredients in pressure cooker and cooking for a whistle and cooking in sim for 10 mins. However by mistake, I mixed everything and had it on low flame, so by the time I had it for a whistle, the bottom got stuck. Since the flour is very light, it got cooked very fast. 

Then I had it transferred to a thick bottom pan and cooked again. The ghee that I used actually floated, so I simply removed the excess ghee. The sweet will absorb the amount it can, excess will simply float over the top. We can remove the excess the ghee. The sweet turned out so soft and silky, that it simply melted when you take a bite.



Today being a Saturday I had the day off after such a long time. However I had planned so many things that I was literally running around. I planned for three dishes for the morning and somehow managed to make them by the time I got down to making lunch. On top I also had to some shopping to  be done, so had to go out. Gosh never realised it was so hot! It felt like Madras was literally burning. I was too exhausted and didn't want to venture out again.

Amma didn't know what the halwa was as she said it melted before she could even understand what flour was used. I was asking if she liked the taste or not. She said it tasted good, only it didn't stay in the mouth for long enough for them to understand the taste..:)

Other Godhumai Halwa

Godhumai Halwa
Tirunelveli Godhumai Halwa





 










Wheat Halwa in Pressure Cooker

Ingredients Needed

Wheat flour - 1 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Milk - 1 1/2 cups
Ghee - 1/2 - 3/4 cup
Cashew nuts - handful roasted in ghee
Cardamom powder a pinch
Kesar colour a pinch

How to make Wheat Halwa in Pressure Cooker

Take the flour in a pressure cooker along with sugar, ghee and milk. Add the kesar colour and cardamom powder.

Simmer the flame and mix well. Since the flour got cooked fast, I removed to a thick bottom pan and continued cooking for 10 mins.

Continue cooking with adding ghee a teaspoon each time.

Your halwa is ready when the sides leave the pan.


Notes:

As per the original recipe, you use a tall vessel, so that on cooling, you can take it out and blend to a smooth paste using a hand blender. When you are using this method, you will have to just add all the ingredients and cook for a whistle, then simmer for 10 mins. 

Once pressure falls, blend to a smooth paste using the hand blender.





Logo courtesy : Preeti

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 27

Labels: , , , , , , ,