Andhra Vankaya Peanut Kura | Brinjal Peanut Curry Andhra Style

For the second day of Traditional dishes, I always look towards Athamma to teach me the dishes she is well known for. The way she makes the regular dal/ Pappu is very different from how Amma makes. Though I have always loved the way Amma makes, I can never say no to the way Athamma makes. And this has been a constant topic to debate between hubby dear and me if I have actually learnt to make dal as how she makes. While I agree that I can't compete for her excellence  I was insisting that I have got it right.

He finally agreed recently when Athamma had gone visiting and he had no choice but to accept that I had made it. Other days, wouldn't believe, saying she might have had a hand. Anyway I always would say I too prefer her making it, for obvious reasons..:)

Coming to this recipe for today, this is a simple gravy made with brinjals as a side dish for Jonna Rotti. Athamma's mom used to make this for them when they were kids and she continued to make it later as well. I think there is a strong liking with Brinjal and Andhra folks. They love their brinjal. Like Dad would love anything Brinjal. I am not that fond of these, however I prefer Gutti Vankaya over any dish any time.

I am told that her mom used to make even bigger rottis, and would serve them immediately as they were a big family. When she starts cooking, kids used to sit around and get served right away and there is no special serving style or formal seating. With five brothers, cousins and others, her mom had cooking going on large scale. When she was telling me that, I was wondering how she must have judged how much gravy she has to make. With nuclear family as the trend, we hardly find it an issue, just imagine if one has to cook for 10 ppl on daily basis, all three meals. I might actually go crazy! 


I came to know from Athamma that Peddu asked when we will get Mangoes this season. Though the market is overflowing with mangoes, we still don't have the sweet ones I guess. Only after the first shower of summer, will the mangoes turn sweet. Anyway I couldn't keep away, hearing he wanted and got some. We were so disappointed that they were hardly sweet, some were sour as well. At least I was treated with their happiness brimming over, seeing the Mangoes.


Vankaya Peanut Kura

Ingredients Needed:

Brinjal - 250 gms
Onions - 1 big
Garlic - 4 cloves
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Salt to taste
Roasted Peanut powder - 3 tsp
Water as required

For tempering

Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds, Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves

How to make the Brinjal Curry

Wash and cut into long pieces, soak in water until usage.

Heat a non stick pan with oil, temper with mustard, urad dal, curry leaves.

Then add garlic, onions, saute well. When the onions turn colour, add finely chopped tomatoes and simmer.

Now add salt and turmeric powder for the tomatoes to get mushy.

Once it turns soft, add drained brinjal pieces. and saute well.

Add chili powder, coriander powder and simmer with lid covered for 10 mins till the brinjal turn soft.

Now add water and bring to boil.

Finally add peanut powder and bring to boil.

Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rice, roti.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 27

Labels: , , , , , ,