Wheat Flour Halwa | Wheat Flour Kesari

>>  Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pin It

We are starting the second week in BM 26th, with me going on Pick an Ingredient and make three different dishes. To make it very complicated (as if life isn't already complicated), I had given three different combinations to be made. Trust me these days I don't actually get time to sit and think through the entire theme list. So what happens on the morning of the announcement, rather just the time I did this time, these things came to mind and I just gave in, trusting on my friends capabilities to churn out things, no matter how tough it gets.

Anyway this time I happened to face the music and it's been pretty tough going. After spending quite sometime deciding on the first week dishes, selecting for the second week, pretty ease. I squared on Wheat flour and thought I will have so much to select from. Well again it was a game of hide and seek. Finally I ended up selecting the dishes and as always hoped for the weekend to let me complete the dishes. I was supposed to go with starters, well since that dish seemed to simply I thought of making it in the end, which turned out to be a bad decision as I never came around doing it. So you get to see from the last, meaning an Indian Sweet. 
Though I have made Godumai Halwa two different ways, I always had a wish to make it with flour. I even bookmarked a recipe with it. Only I wasn't able to find that recipe. In the end resorted to another one, I think this is from Chitra Vish of the Indus Ladies fame. I had this noted down and thought it will be best. This is rather called as Wheat Flour Kesari, and as a Rajasthani sweet. Guess all our states almost make the same sweet and call it by different names. I remember the other halwa made with flour and had a similar measurement.

or the first time, I decided to measure out the ingredients as they were only 3 of them. I wanted to see how much I end up using it. I used 1 cup flour and measured out 1 cup ghee and 1 cup Sugar. I started with 2 tbsp of ghee to make and almost used up 3/4 cups. With the texture I ended up with, it was fine and tasted great. If you want, you can use up the entire cup of ghee. Sugar I had to use another half cup to get that halwa taste. On the whole it ended up being such a delightful task.


I am also planning to make the halwa with the dough, so let me plan that as well!

Step by Step Picture















Wheat Flour Halwa

Ingredients Needed:

Wheat Flour - 1 Cup
Sugar - 1 1/2 cup
Ghee - 3/4 Cup
Cashew nuts - 10
Cardamom a pinch
Water - 1 1/2 cup

How to make the Wheat flour halwa

In a non stick pan, heat and dry roast the wheat flour without add ghee. Continue roasting till you see the atta turn colour.

Next add the ghee by 2 tbsp and continue mixing, at this stage the flour will turn to watery and you should continue stirring it all over.

After nearly 10 mins of stirring, add sugar and mix everything well. At this stage the mixture will be granular, but you can continue mixing everything together.

Once you are done with 1 cup of sugar, add water, start with 1/2 cup and combine everything together.

When you add water, the mixture becomes very soft, you can continue with adding ghee and stirring again.

Continue the process of add ghee and more sugar till you reach 3/4 cup of ghee and 1 1/2 cup of sugar. Add cashews and saute well.

Stir everything together and serve hot.

Notes:


You can fry the cashews in the beginning and keep aside, I added to the pan and found it easy to make as well.

When you are dry roasting, continue for 5 - 7 mins, else if you are hoping for the flour to become golden or brown, it might become almost too brown end of the process. So 
remember to add ghee before it reaches that stage. 

I stopped with 3/4 cup ghee, you can complete the entire 1 cup if you prefer. Also I used a wide non stick pan, stirring on a wide surface was little hard, you can select a smaller one.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 26


22 comments :

Sandhya Ramakrishnan March 10, 2013 at 11:47 AM  

Such a easy and tempting recipe! I am sure all that ghee would have made a big difference in the taste. Love your step by step pictures! Bookmarking the recipe :)

PriyaVaasu March 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM  

Looks delicious valli. Love that deep color on the halwa I have got some samba wheat flour from india to try asoka pudding, may be now will make some wheat halwa too!!

vaishali sabnani March 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM  

Well the basic to halwa is the same...only I use less sugar, but halwa is halwa, one of the best and quickest to prepare Indian sweet..and so many variations too. Love it anytime.

Pavithra R March 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM  

Simple & easy recipe. Looks lovely & tempting!!

thoushaltcook March 10, 2013 at 6:29 PM  

Wow you really took the color to the new level. First I thought you have added cocoa or chocolate. Stunner halwa this is.

Chef Mireille March 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM  

love the deep color you got - looks so yummy!

The Pumpkin Farm March 10, 2013 at 8:30 PM  

this is ashthami special especially at the gurudwara near my home..is so delicious

divya March 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM  

Looks yummy and tempting...nice clicks.

Priya Suresh March 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM  

When i saw the deep colour of this halwa i thought you might have prepared this halwa with jaggery. An easy halwa to prepare for a sudden craving.

Foodiliciousnan March 11, 2013 at 2:19 AM  

This almost looks like chocolate halwa Valli. Very tempting indeed!I Find your detailed pics and notes so useful always!

Corporate to Kitchen March 11, 2013 at 7:51 AM  

They look so rich & appetizing. Would love to have some:)

Gayathri Kumar March 11, 2013 at 3:14 PM  

Love the colour of halwa. And it looks very delicious. I haven't tried it with wheat flour yet...

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi March 11, 2013 at 7:07 PM  

Good one. Looking at the color I thought you added some cocoa powder for a change :)

veena krishnakumar March 11, 2013 at 8:41 PM  

I have never attempted to make godumai halwa for fear of the procedure..but this looks so very doable valli...will surely try it

sushma March 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM  

Wow nice and healthy halwa. Looks like chocolate too

Manju March 12, 2013 at 8:24 AM  

One of my favorite sweet, but I haven't tried with flour. Color looks so different and unique.

cookcookandcook March 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM  

This looks like some chocolate dish.. you really did some hard work to get this color.. :) looks amazing..

Padmajha PJ March 13, 2013 at 3:34 PM  

I thought I commented here!But can't find it!
Anyways, nice color to the halwa.I learnt from out ICC moong halwa preparation that more the ghee better the texture and taste!Never prepared wheat halwa....

rekhas kitchen March 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM  

What alovely color Valli looks so yumm . I like wheat halwa then maida halwa or any other halwa.

Shylaja Praveen March 14, 2013 at 7:32 AM  

A healthy halwa Srivalli. I usually make this with jaggery instead of sugar. Love the color

Nivedhanams Sowmya March 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM  

wow that is quick and easy yet looks soooooo tempting...
Sowmya
Ongoing Event - HITS - Diabetic Friendly
Ongoing Event + Giveaway - Italian Dishes

Pavani March 15, 2013 at 3:06 AM  

I saw a recipe for Pineapple wheat flour halwa recently and was thinking of it would taste. Now that I know wheat flour halwa looks amazing, I'll probably try that version with pineapple.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP