Oats Date Almond Milkshake ~ Healthy Smoothie!

>>  Sunday, March 3, 2013

Pin It


We are starting the 26th Edition of Blogging Marathon. I am going to be doing a theme about Cooking from Book. It can be either from a fiction or a cookbook. Basically we decided to have this theme frequently because of the wish from most members that they have so many books, that they wish they could cook from. 

So this theme has sort of become a permanent add-on to the list of themes. Then it struck me that I got to make this little more complicated if I need to increase the thrill quotient  I decided to give combos with three categories., from different authors, with one single ingredient. Only after selecting to do the theme myself, I realised how tough the combination ended up! 

For days together I was searching for one single ingredient that I can do. To top it all, the categories was worse, God only knows what made me think of selecting that combination. I wanted to make sure I duck from my friends when they decide to yell at me for such complicated combo! 

Anyway finally I selected the ingredient and the authors. For here is the ingredient that I ended up, Oats and for the first day it from Mallika Badrinath's book of Oats. This is called Oats Date Almond Milkshake and ends up being very rich and smooth, I could easily call it smoothie. 

I almost followed the recipe, though I can't resist changing something. 





Oats Date Almond Milkshake 


Oats - 1 cup
Dates, seedless - nearly 10 pieces
Honey - 2 tbsp
Almonds - 6 -7 nos
Cold Milk - 2 cups
Sugar - 1/2 (opt)

How to make the Milkshake

Dry roast the oats in a pan for couple of minutes. Keep it aside for it to cool down.

Once cooled transfer to a mixer, add chopped dates, half of almonds, pulse it till the oats are powdered.

Next add the milk and run again. Now add the honey and pulse again to get a smooth paste.

If you want it thick add more milk, else water can be added.


Clicking drinks is always such a tough task! Evey time after I click I realise my mistakes and it's of course too late!

Always place the glass where you want to click, pour the content after placing, making sure you don't move the glass. Else you will clearly see the liquid that moved around the rim.

Notes:

I add half of the almonds as chopped to give that nutty taste when you bite.

Dilute depending on how thick you want this to be.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 26


31 comments :

Shruti Dhingra Wahi March 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM  

Healthy and yummy Milkshake !!!
ShrutiRasoi
Today's Recipe
Quick and Easy Pasta

The Pumpkin Farm March 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM  

long time on my to do list...will defintely want to drink some now for energy....loved the first click, it has the reflection of the fruits near the base of the stem, guess putting to use our photography session

Arthy Suman March 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM  

healthy breakfast for a great day...

Rajani S March 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM  

Yes BM book combination is a bit difficult to achieve, I am yet to really look into it as its for the last week. Good that you are not ducking the challenge and have come up with an interesting smoothie :)

vaishali sabnani March 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM  

Valli the pics have come out super! And I am sure the shake must have turned out yum, even though I am not a milk person , but surely a healthy one. Like those tips on the pics!

Momsters March 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM  

This looks absolutely Yum, will try and let u know how it was.

Saras March 3, 2013 at 4:39 PM  

Healthy and filling shake. Different from regular one..

Corporate to Kitchen March 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM  

That looks like a really healthy tasty drink. I am going to try this one soon.

Manju March 3, 2013 at 8:31 PM  

Nice and healthy drink. As you said taking picture of drinks is hard for this reason I haven't posted few of mine yet.

Chef Mireille March 3, 2013 at 9:34 PM  

what a healthy shake and I love the way you photographed them in the champagne glasses, especially the 1st photo.
...and you were right - I spent several days going through my huge cookbook collection trying to find one ingredient from 3 different books representing the 3 different course options you selected - and I said to myself what was I thinking by selecting this category and what was Srivalli thinking - this is HARD!!!!

veena krishnakumar March 3, 2013 at 9:56 PM  

First thing that struck me seeing the post is the pic Valli...Love it...and i will be trying this combo soon:-)

Kalyani March 3, 2013 at 10:06 PM  

Lovely props and clicks Valli !! Yummy shake... I was also stumped when I saw the combos from a single ingredient and also crazier combos on your theme today !! Am still thinking what to choose n make..... You couldn't have ducked if we all had protested :-) we are all good students, you c!.

Priya March 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM  

Very beautiful click valli, i never get bored of anything prepared with oats, obviously i can have this beautiful shake anytime.

Foodiliciousnan March 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM  

I was planning to jump to cooking from cookbooks till i realised the ingredient and course restrictions. Anyway, great ingredient to work with, oats. Love the combo with nuts and dates in a shake

Shylaja Praveen March 4, 2013 at 3:10 AM  

Such a healthy combo.Looks very yummy. Lovely clicks too

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi March 4, 2013 at 7:11 AM  

Excellent drink for a refreshing breakfast combo or as a snack. Beautiful clicks. I also understand the difficulty in clicking these liquids :)

Suma Gandlur March 4, 2013 at 9:42 AM  

Yummy one Valli. As I mentioned earlier, the ideas under this theme was really complicated.

Gayathri Kumar March 4, 2013 at 9:50 AM  

Very nutritious milkshake Valli. You surely come up with tough themes and combos...

thoushaltcook March 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM  

I absolutely love the glasses. Beautiful stems. I am so not an oats and honey fan. In fact cant let it pass my throat. This one seems like a disguise. Should try it sometime. :)

Nivedhanams Sowmya March 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM  

I do a very similar version regular!!! so yummy!!!
Sowmya
Ongoing Event - What is with my Cuppa
Ongoing Event - HITS - Diabetic Friendly

PriyaVaasu March 4, 2013 at 11:53 AM  

Very healthy n Filling Smoothie!!! Wonderful Click Valli!!!I still dont know how to click a glass!! :(

Archana Potdar March 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM  

pictures look yummy. A for the shake I cannot tell unless I drink it can I? ;0
Just joking will try it out.

Shylaashree March 4, 2013 at 2:43 PM  

yummy milkshake. nice presentation

Jayashree March 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM  

Valli, the first pic has come out so well......love it.

Nisha Sundar March 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM  

Wow I love the glasses valli.. They are so attractive... Healthy Oats and Almonds makes it more tempting...

divya March 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM  

healthy n yummy drink...

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com March 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM  

Great drink , gives an instant energy kick!

cookcookandcook March 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM  

Such a healthy and refreshing drink.. Loved your glasses..:)

Pavani March 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM  

That is one healthy & nutritious drink. I'm going to try this soon. Thanks for sharing.. Lovely clicks.

Priya Yallapantula March 7, 2013 at 10:11 PM  

Love it Srivalli. It looks so healthy. Please do send it to my "Healthy Me & Healthy Us" event. Please do read the event rules :)

Preeti Garg March 7, 2013 at 10:19 PM  

Very healthy drink

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP