Instant Oats Masala Dosa | Oats Carrot Peas Dosa ~ 101 Dosa Varieties!

>>  Monday, March 4, 2013

Pin It


For the second day of Cooking from different authors with the same ingredient, and with a combo, gosh I know I did create a big mess here this time with the themes. I am breathless, simply thinking how much limitations I have imposed on this theme. Anyway I finally narrowed to the categories I need to make. I selected the combo Soup / Juice, Breakfast combo and Dessert. As per the category specific, it's Breakfast combo and decided to make something with Dosas as it's my favourite.

From the collection of books I have, I selected Tarla Dalal and decided to go backwards, hoping she has something with oats and a breakfast item. Worse was the dessert, so I thought I would select this dish before selecting one. Even for my exams I wouldn't have struggled so hard. For days together the books were lying around the hall and my boys would flip through them and ask who the pictures belong to. The moment I say the names, they used to burst out laughing! I was thinking their punishment would be to make them eat what I make from those books with Oats. On hearing that, they were very clear that they won't even tough it. 

Anyway naturally they didn't touch it. The Dosa variety I ended up turned out to be Fibre Rich and Diabetic friendly. So I have couple of more labels getting selected! Best part was that this variety is instant as the batter hardly needs fermentation. I ended up making it with my own twists, as the recipe calls for chaat masala. First was that I was offering oats, on top of it, I can't expect my hubby dear to like Chaat on his dosa. There is only some extent of innovation of fusion he can accept, for that matter myself as well. So this recipe goes in for a change over.




 



 
















Oats Masala Dosa

Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
Makes 6 dosas

Ingredients Needed

For The Dosa Batter

Quick cooking rolled oats - 1 cup
Urad dal (split black lentils) - 1/4 cup
Moong Dal powder - 2 tbsp (opt)
Salt to taste
Red chili flakes - 1 tsp

For The Stuffing

Onions - 1 cup
Fresh Peas - 1/2 cup
Carrots, grated - 1/2 cup
Green chilli - 2 medium
Salt to taste
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Curry powder - 1/2 tsp (opt) or else add coriander pw
Turmeric powder a pinch
Oil - 2 tsp
Potatos - 1 medium if required
Oil for making the Dosas

How to make the Oats Dosa

For the dosa batter

Dry roast both Urad dal and Oats separately  blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Add moong dal if you want to add.

Transfer to a bowl, add enough water along with salt, red chili flakes and make a pouring consistency of batter. Cover and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.

For the stuffing

Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add chopped onions, green chilli.

Sauté on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes, till the onions turn translucent.

Add the carrots and green peas, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes.

Add the salt, spice powders, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 more minutes.

I ended up adding potatoes, so mix well and switch off and and keep aside.

How to proceed to make dosas

Heat a non-stick tawa, pour a spoonful of the batter on the tawa and move the spoon in a circular motion to make small round dosa.

Sprinkle few drops of oil around the edges and cook on a medium flame with a lid covered, till the dosa turns light brown in colour. Flip on the other side and cook well.

Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre of the dosa and fold over.

Repeat with the remaining batter and stuffing to make the remaining dosas.

Serve immediately with a chutney of your choice.



Notes:

I ended up making the stuffing very spicy, so had to add potatoes to balance. Make small dosas so that it's easy to handle and faster to cook.

Since I made this more of a south Indian style, I managed to get the crowd pleased. But I think with chaat masala you will end up with a different taste.

Do not keep the batter for too long as it becomes thicker making it difficult to spread.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 26


22 comments :

Rajani S March 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM  

The theme was challenging, but not really impossible. So I guess you dont have to think too much about it :)

The dosa looks nice and the filling looks filling ;-)!

Priya March 5, 2013 at 2:42 AM  

Oh my god, can guess how delicious and filling will be this instant masala dosa,that too with my fav grains..Loving it.

Chef Mireille March 5, 2013 at 4:04 AM  

Now this is a dosage batter even I can make

divya March 5, 2013 at 4:38 AM  

oh mine - so tempting..

vaishali sabnani March 5, 2013 at 7:12 AM  

I had not paid much attention to this theme..but understand it now:)..but you are working pretty well on the theme, dosa looks quite interesting!

Manju March 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM  

Healthy one. I use to make this dosa when urad dal goes excess when I grind or idli.

veena krishnakumar March 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM  

Oats Dosa I make but this filling is so good..yumm

Kalyani March 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM  

My family loves Oats , and I wouldn't mindcouple of these, Valli ! Breakfast with a twist is the next BMtheme you must give us... Loll!!,!!

Jayashree March 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM  

Hearing you describe that theme is making my head spin. Nice recipe, Valli.

ANU March 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM  

healthy dosa and nice filling...
"Healthy Recipe Substitution" HRS EVENT Dec 20th to Mar 20th
SYF&HWS - Cook With SPICES" Series
South Indian Cooking

Archana Potdar March 5, 2013 at 9:02 PM  

I ma coming over Valli.

Amelia March 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM  

Hi, I love dosa, yours look so good and is the stuffing is really delicious. YUMMY!

Have a nice week ahead, regards.

The Pumpkin Farm March 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM  

oats are not appreciated at my home as well, its me and my sisters and my mom who have picked up this big time, but we normally end up eating alone, so it is more like the girl's meal, i made oats dosa a couple of times, but never added moong dal or urad dal to it...will try this out too and will not tell the men folks at home

Gayathri Kumar March 6, 2013 at 6:00 AM  

Great way to keep kids away from books, Valli. By the way the dosa looks very nice with the masala...

Suma Gandlur March 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM  

As I mentioned earlier, this was the tricky theme especially since you put a dessert in each option. :)
However you did good with this time.
Healthy dosas Valli. I have uraddal powder ready. Will definitely try this.

Shylaja Praveen March 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM  

Wow. This is indeed a very healthy recipe Srivalli..Oats, Urad dhal with vegetables. Breakfast cannot be yummy and healthier than this

PriyaVaasu March 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM  

Very tempting valli!!!didn't know that we can add ground urad dal powder for making instant dosa's! ! I m going to try this!!!!

Nivedhanams Sowmya March 6, 2013 at 11:43 AM  

make a similar one... but yours is more tempting... bookmarking it!!
Sowmya
Ongoing Event - What is with my Cuppa
Ongoing Event - HITS - Diabetic Friendly

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi March 6, 2013 at 7:33 PM  

You know about my confusion and mix up, right? These dosas are awesome! In fact this is the only way I can sneak in oats for my husband :)

Pavani March 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM  

You definitely had us all with this theme Valli. All of us had to some well needed study/ research for this one..
I'm enjoyed your oats creations -- these dosas look great. I have urad flour, do you think I can use it to make these dosas? They look healthy & delicious.

Corporate to Kitchen March 11, 2013 at 7:56 AM  

waw! This is one powerpact breakfast. They look so healthy & filling.I have been making a lot of stuff in oats these days.I am defenitly goingt o try this soon.

cookcookandcook March 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM  

wow.. this looks like an Indian Taco.. that is all I could think of looking at it.. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP