Idli Vada Sandwich | Idli Vada Burgerwich!

>>  Monday, March 25, 2013

Pin It

For the second day of making sandwiches without Bread, I wanted to try it with Idlis. It's been on my mind forever since Lataji had shared an Idli Sandwich. I tried many times to try making something on those lines and even made a grilled version of Idlis stuffed with aloo masala

However for the current theme, I had thought I must assemble the sandwich as you would do with a regular one, I was thinking I must do something else. I remembered the Idli Vada Sambar combination that's famous and thought it would be so lovely to sandwich these together.


I made these with the regular size Idlies, you could try with smaller ones as well, these would serve such a wonderful party appetizers or finger food. With Vada being sandwiched with slit idlies, smeared with chutney, you can just hold it to be dipped into sambar, for a lovely treat!

I didn't have a new recipe to be shared, I just made these again to be assembled. However one shocking bit I realised was that I don't have a proper Coconut Chutney post! I know every South Indian makes it almost on daily basis, still I feel Amma's recipe rocks! And I can' miss not posting it. I know my relatives when they visit us, makes it a point to request Amma to make it for us. So you can imagine how fond we of of this chutney. 


Recipes used in this dish are the Idlis, Meddu Vada and Coconut Chutney. For the coconut chutney, you can make it without the coriander leaves for this version or with it as well for a more delicious taste.

Konda who just saw these pictures, is upset that I didn't make it for her. I said these were done in the morning, after she had gone to school. I promised her that she would get to taste it the next time I make these together. 

I am hoping for the time when my boys get to the stage of eating all these!





How to assemble the Idli Vada Sandwich

Steam the idlis as you normally do.

Once the Meddu vadas are fried, slit the idlis through centre. Spread the coconut chutney on the top of the bottom slice, place the fried vada, press it down with the top later.

Initially I thought I could try this with two idlies. Then realised that it would become very heavy and also would not stand properly.

This worked out so well. If the Idlis and Vadas are of the regular sizes, all you need to serve is just one Sandwich!


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 26


16 comments :

Mrs.Kannan March 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM  

What an innovation...Love to take a bite....Looks yum....

Nivedhanams Sowmya March 25, 2013 at 8:57 PM  

perfect breakfast done more prettier!!! super delicious!!
Sowmya
Ongoing Event - HITS - Diabetic Friendly
Ongoing Event + Giveaway - Italian Dishes

Vijayalakshmi Dharmaraj March 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM  

Ha ha... quite innovative n loved this dear... Kudos to ur idea...

The Pumpkin Farm March 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM  

super cool idea, works for a birthday party...glad u realized that you dont have the coconut chutney recipe early ;) , better late than never

Amrita Roy March 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM  

Yummy idea...http://accessiblediary.blogspot.in/

divya March 26, 2013 at 1:44 AM  

Makes me drool..tempting

Priya Suresh March 26, 2013 at 2:59 AM  

Fantastic and definitely i would love to finish that whole plate,very creative and fantastic sandwich, that too with our south Indian idly,vada and chutney..Delicious!

Nalini's Kitchen March 26, 2013 at 3:52 AM  

Wow!!!wonderful idea,very innovative and inviting South Indian burger...looks super tempting..Kudos for this awesome idea...

Priya R March 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM  

Very innovative recipe :) looks superb

Pavithra R March 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM  

Aha, love the innovation, looks authentic :)

Rajani S March 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM  

Cooooool, Valli!! Cool!

Its such an innvative way of presenting our regular food :)

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi March 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM  

That is a cool idea, Valli.

Minu March 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM  

Two of my favourites together!
Wish to have a bite. Will try tomorrow

Pavani March 29, 2013 at 3:17 AM  

What a delicious idli-vada sandwich. It makes total sense and I'm sure it tasted amazing. My 5 year old will love these.. I'm going to try these soon.

vaishali sabnani March 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM  

I would never ever have dreamt of this sandwich:))truly very very innovative..I must serve these and see my family's reaction....too good!

Saraswathi Tharagaram April 16, 2013 at 3:01 AM  

Woow, This such a cute idea. Kudos to your innovation with our regular idli and vadai..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP