Dabeli | How to make Dabeli

>>  Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pin It

One of the many things I finally tasted from an originality point of view, was this Dabeli. Being a food blogger, puts so much strain on us, meaning you are expected to know so many things, which normally one can't know. Still people assume you should be knowing and it's one of the situation I always find myself in. People assume I am authority on Indian Food and expect me to explain difference or making a certain dish.

Well most cases, I manage quite well, either trying to research or tell them enough reason that explains things to them. One of it was the Dabeli Chaat. Somebody asked to order Dabeli and someone wanted to know what it was. Now I am still not sure if we get Dabeli in Madras, however my colleagues who are from either North or west, would recollect the chats they get in their home town and start comparing it with what we get here. 

I always tell them not to do that. As a Bhel can be made in so many ways and there is really no authentic recipe to make one. When we visited Delhi, Hubby dear took me to those specific chat shops to get me to eat their famous Kachoris, and few other items. Even now he says the kachori he ate in Delhi can never be replicated elsewhere, especially in Madras. 

Now food is always a subjective matter. And when it comes to spice eating south Indian, who can't palate a food that's more sweet, sour and not on spice front, not many can really appeal. Then there is this thing about certain food being extremely spicy. So when we visited Ahmedabad, my main interest was to taste some of the Chat food. 


I thanked Vaishali for the wonderful experience we had during our BM 25th Celebrations, eating those street food. I am a person who can eat any sort of chat item, provided it's even on all front. I don't like it too sweet nor too spicy. I tend to go on middle and the food I tasted in Ahmedabad, was absolutely to my taste. Let me confess that I have never really eaten off any road side shops previously because Dad always objected to those road side pani puriwala. Anyways the stops we eat from in Ahmedabad were not exactly roadside, so I can excuse myself. 

In Ahmedabad, we ate Dabeli and Vada Pav. I loved Vada Pav much better as it was more spicy. Dabeli was on medium spice and moreover little sweetish at most places. Since I hadn't actually looked into the recipe on how it was made, I didn't know better.

Now having tasted that, I was eager to try it at home. I referred some handful of authentic recipes, plus what I had already stored from some source. Finally it all turned out to be somewhat similar, so I don't think I have missed on any part.

Sending this to Preeti, who is hosting Kid's Delight Event, themed on Street Food.




















Dabeli

Ingredients Needed

For the potato Stuffing

Mashed potatoes - 3 - 4 medium
Onions - 2 medium
Dabeli masala - 1 - 2 tsp
Meetha chutney - 1 tsp
Hing a pinch
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander - 2 tsp

Other Ingredients

Pav buns - 4
Garlic chutney - 4 tsp
Meetha chutney - 4 tsp
Chopped onions - 1 medium
Masala peanuts - 2 tbsp
Sev - for garnish
Butter for cooking
Fresh pomegranate - 1/2 cup

Roasted Peanuts for making masala peanuts, by roasting it with Salt and Chili powder.

How to make the Dabeli

For the stuffing

MW potatoes for 5 -6 mins, soak and peel off skin.

Heat oil in a non stick pan, saute chopped onions till they turn colour. Add hing, mix well, then add mashed potatoes.

Now add the dabeli masala, meetha chutney, salt and mix everything well. simmer for few minutes.

Finally add the chopped coriander leaves.

Remove and transfer to a plate, and let it cool. If you like you can press it as a cake, so that it's easy to handle.

Sprinkle the coriander on top. Keep aside.

How to assemble the Dabelo

Heat a tawa, roast the slit pav buns on both sides.

Transfer to a plate, spread garlic chutney on one side, meetha chutney on the other side.

Scoop out the filling and place on the chutney spread side, stuff with the potato stuffing, top with onions, peanuts, sev, onions, and sprinkle the dabeli masala.

Finally top it with Sev and pomegranate.

Serve right away





Notes:

I saw that after assembling, the Dabeli is again roasted, I skipped this step for obvious reasons.


Now after three days of non stop chats, I couldn't decide which ones everybody liked. I personally liked the Dabeli better than the other two. Of course, two of them wanted the Burger Bun Tikki, whereas some wanted this Dabeli to be made again.

And hubby dear refused to eat as this has permanganate. It was so like him to say that. I was happy I didn't have just him to judge the taste of this dish. Konda loved it so much and being treated with chats was surely a wonderful way to enjoy her meals. 

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 26


20 comments :

Kalyani March 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM  

I would love to have Dabeli right now Valli.. yummy clicks !

Priya Suresh March 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM  

Just had my lunch and am drooling here again, who can resist to those irresistible platter, inviting dabeli.

Pavithra R March 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM  

Looks perfect!!

PriyaVaasu March 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM  

I m craving for one. Love that first click!!!!! I loved all the 3 chats!!!;-)

Hari Chandana March 20, 2013 at 7:34 PM  

Yummy Yummy !!

divya March 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM  

this looks absolutely tempting...

Nivedhanams Sowmya March 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM  

perfect street food!!! love to grab the plate!!!
Sowmya
Ongoing Event - HITS - Diabetic Friendly
Ongoing Event + Giveaway - Italian Dishes

Gujarati Zaika March 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM  

looks perfect and yummy....

sushma March 20, 2013 at 10:39 PM  

Love dabeli a lot...looks perfect Valli.

Suma Gandlur March 21, 2013 at 2:26 AM  

Whenever we stop by Indian grocers here, my husband definitely buys some dabeli. I can't stand the garlic smell and wouldn't touch them but they seem to make dabelis super spicy here. My husband has been asking them to prepare them at home and I have been postponing. I will try your recipe sooner and will let you know. BTW, the dabeli looks fabulous with those pomegranate seeds.

Pavani March 21, 2013 at 2:49 AM  

We recently had dabeli at an Indian restaurant and loved it. I've been planning to make it some time soon, so thank you for the recipe. Will be trying this soon.

Manju March 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM  

Filling snack, need to grab the colorful plate.

vaishali sabnani March 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM  

Perfectly made Valli, glad you tried it here, and most people prefer vada pav to Dabeli..but I like the flavors..the crunchiness of sev..anaar...

vaishali sabnani March 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM  

I have fallen for this one..we normally use bread, but love the idea of sandwiching like a burger..super one!

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi March 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM  

Good one. I am like you - love chaats which are spiced evenly !

Chef Mireille March 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM  

that last photo looked so pretty, especially with the burst of color from the pomegranate..who wouldn't want to eat that

Srivalli March 21, 2013 at 7:54 PM  

Thank you everybody! I am so glad the pictures were liked by all

Preeti Garg March 21, 2013 at 7:57 PM  

Too yum and delicious..
Thanks for linking with my event

Rajani S March 23, 2013 at 9:55 PM  

The Dabeli took me right back to BM 25 and the vada pavs (I liked those better than these actually :D. Beautiful, mouthwatering clicks too Valli! Superb :)

And people assuming about you being a food encyclopedia is a side effect of being a foodie blogger!

veena krishnakumar March 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM  

I missed that bm...:-(...love the pic valli...looks very tempting as usual

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP