Mullu Muruku | Thenzulal 3 - Snacks for Kids ~ Back to Hostel Food

>>  Tuesday, February 19, 2013

For the final day of cooking dishes that can be packed for Kids, I naturally have to make some Murukus right. Murukus are my ever favorite snack and I always remember waiting for the Deepavali season when Amma would make boxes and boxes of Murukus. Nothing has ever come close the taste that she makes. 

Only recently I have started making these myself. Though I get the satisfaction of making them myself, I still long for those Deepavali Murukus. However I was happy to note that while I was making these itself, Chinnu was making frequent visits, wanting to know when it will done. I even allowed him to press on the bowl, next he wanted to press into oil! I said he needs grow up to do all those things.
Mullu Muruku
Mullu Muruku
Once all of them were made, and pictures clicke, the boys were impatiently waiting to munch on these. Chinnu asked why I had put these into a box. I said these were supposed to be pack and also the box was a gift from my friend Padma. This is a cute box that Padma gifted us and I was waiting to use this as a prop!
Muruku ~ Snacks for Kids

Mullu Muruku

Ingredients Needed:

Rice Flour - 1 cup
Urad Dal - 1/2 cup
Besan / Gram Flour - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Butter - 1/4 cup
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Ajwain - 1/4 tsp
Black / White Sesame Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red Chili powder - 3/4 tsp
Sambar powder - 3/4 tsp
Hing a pinch
Oil for frying

Single Star press for making the Murukus

How to make the muruku

On a medium flame, dry saute the urad dal until it turns colour. Allow it to cool and grind to a fine powder.

In a wide bowl, take the rice flour, besan, Urad dal flour, and all the rest of the ingredients and rub well.

Heat a kadai with enough oil for frying the murukus.

Slowly add hot water and knead to a soft and smooth dough. When the oil is hot, transfer the dough into the press and gently press on the ladle back and drop into hot oil.

If you find that pressing separately is too tedious, then press directly over the hot oil.Ensure you maintain safe distance

Cook on both sides and remove to a kitchen towel.

Store in an air tight container and pack to kids!

Thenkuzhal Muruku | Thenkuzhal Recipe
Thenkuzhal Muruku 2 
Mixed Dal Muruku  
Peanut Murukku | Groundnut Murukku
Jantikalu or Muruku
Sagu Biyyam Muruku / Sago Muruku 
Sada Muruku 

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 25


Pavani February 20, 2013 at 2:09 AM  

Yumm. those murukus look so crunchy and yummy.. Cute little helping hand in the kitchen is always welcome.. Sounds like chinnu had fun helping and munching.

Priya February 20, 2013 at 2:53 AM  

Crunchy munchy murukkus, makes me nostalgic..Wish you send me some Valli.

ANU February 20, 2013 at 8:10 AM  

awesome snack...
"Healthy Recipe Substitution" - HRS Event and SURPRISE Giveaway - Dec 20th to Mar 20th

Rumana Ambrin February 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM  

the muruku looks very tasty..

rekhas kitchen February 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM  

Ahhh crispy murukus yummm love to have them any time you are tempting me Valli.
Yeehhhh my box!!! thanks for using it as a prop :)

Padmajha PJ February 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM  

Srivalli, I could almost hear you talking as I read through the intro!
Most of the times lil one wants to 'assist' me in cooking and I can relate to Chinnu's presence in the kitchen :)
I have made murukku but never posted even a single recipe!Got to soon...

rajani February 20, 2013 at 7:09 PM  

I like both the props here Valli. I too have started using mine :). The murukku looks nice and I bet, they are as tasty as your mother's!

divya February 20, 2013 at 9:40 PM  

looks yummy n delicious..

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi February 20, 2013 at 10:02 PM  

Hey Valli, Love murukku of any kind. The addition of sambar powder is interesting.

The idea of pressing the murukku on the ladle and transferring it to the oil is superb! Shall try it out next time.

Chef Mireille February 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM  

yours looks so perfectly shaped and perfectly crispy

Rujuta February 21, 2013 at 10:39 AM  

Hi Srivalli,

Lovely murukku...... Thanks for sharing the recipe.. I love murukku or chakali (as we call it in Maharashtra)... They are my absolute favourite

Pinksocks February 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM  

Mom used to pack tonnes of it when I was doing my MBA. An all season all region fav.

Nalini's Kitchen February 22, 2013 at 1:45 AM  

Crispy,crunchy and addictive murukku,like you its my favorite for ever...

Savitha Ganesan February 22, 2013 at 4:55 AM  

These murukkus makes me to remember ,my hostel days,where amma used to send me bags of these murukkus.We love to share with our hostel mates.Nostalgic memories.Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP