Dal Bati Churma ~ Rajasthan Special Step by Step | Indian Cooking Challenge - January

>>  Friday, February 15, 2013

Pin It

There are few things that I won't want to confess, still can't escape and today was one such thing. I completely forgot announcing a challenge during December Challenge. That's the reason why there was no ICC done during January. Luckily I had my senses around next time round And as always whoever talks to me about ICC, was thrust with the task of selecting a recipe.

It fell on PJ, who was asking me about January ICC. Bang she got the responsibly of picking one out for me. Sweet lady she is, she did the job right away, however I took few more days to finally announce it. Though while announcing I was elated that I was finally going to make the Baatis, that had captured my sense few years ago. 
As things would always be, I end up making it the very last moment. Only this time I got very lucky. PJ who was my partner in crime this edition, also ended up making it today. So she got another task on her. She was to prepare and then let me know which recipes turned out well. She had listed couple of them, and I also added few more. I was thinking with just about an hour or so, I was I to read through and experiment. Finally when PJ guiding me, I selected just those recipes and ended up with a classic plate on hand. Rajasthan was right on our table for dinner.

So for Indian Cooking Challenge this month, we travelled all the way to Rajasthan to get their rustic Baatis home. I only wish I had time to bake those, anyway I am sure I will be making these again.

Though I don't normally like to crowd more than two recipes in a post, I think this one demands a single post. With so many step by step, this post is going to be one long one!

Rajasthani Daal










Ingredients Needed:

To be boiled together

Split moong dal  - 3/4 cup
Bengal gram / chana dal - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder a pinch
Ginger, grated 1" piece

For tempering

Pure ghee - 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Dried red chillies, broken - 3
Onion, chopped - 1/2 small 
Red Chilli powder - 1 tbsp
Dry mango powder / Amchur - 1/2 tsp

How to make the Dal

Wash and take the dals in a pressure cooker along with turmeric powder, ginger. Add enough water to cover the dals. Pressure cooker for 3 -4 whistles. 

Wait for the pressure to fall, then gently mix with ladle.

Heat a kadai with ghee, add cumin seeds, asafoetida and dry red chillies and as cumin seeds begin to change colour, add onion. Cook till onion turns light brown. 

Add red chilli powder and cooked dal. Add half a cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes.

Add amchur and stir to mix well. 

Serve hot with baati. 

Baatis

Adapted from Tarladalal














For the Baatis

Ingredients Needed

For the baatis (makes 10 - 12 baatis small ones) 

Whole wheat flour - 1 cup
Semolina / Rava - 1/2 cup 
Besan / Bengal gram flour - 2 tbsp 
Milk - 3/4 cups or as much need to knead to a tight dough
Melted Ghee  - 2 tbsp 
Salt to taste
Oil For Frying

For the baatis 

In a bowl, take the wheat flour, rava, besan, ghee and salt. Mix well. Then add milk and knead into a firm dough. Knead well for 5 to 7 minutes.

Divide the dough into 10 equal portions and shape each portion into an even sized round. Flatten the rounds lightly using your thumb to make an indentation in the centre of the baati.

Boil water in a broad vessel and drop the baatis in the boiling water. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes over a high flame.

When the baatis are done, drain and keep aside.

Heat a kadai with oil, gently drop the baatis into the oil and cook over sim flame till it is done.

Drain once it is cooked on both sides.

Arrange the baatis on a serving plate, break each baati into two pieces and pour melted ghee on the baatis.

Notes:

The baats can be cooked on grill of the tandoor or in Ovan. In Tandoor you can cook for 20 - 25 mins (without boiling them).
Alternatively bake the boiled baatis in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (400°F) for 10 to 15 minutes turning them over occasionally.
Or even deep fry them in hot ghee instead of cooking them in a tandoor.

Choorma / Churma






Ingredients Needed

Wheat Flour - 1 cup
Sooji - 2 tbsp 
Besan - 2 tsp 
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Milk as required to knead
Ghee - about 2-3 tbsp 
Mixed Nuts like Raisins, Cashew, Almonds
Ghee for deep frying

How to make Choorma

In a bowl take the wheat flour, sooji, besan, pinch of salt and mix in milk to knead to a stiff dough. Pinch out small balls and flatten the balls.

Heat a mix of ghee, oil, fry the buts and keep it aside. 

Then fry these balls. Once the balls cool down, grind them to coarse powder in mixer.

Add about 2 tsp ghee and the sugar to the fried balls. Keep some fried nuts for garnish and rest for grinding along with the fried balls. 

How to serve:

Take the above prepared choorma mixture in a serving bowl and garnish it with some mixed nuts.

As per the sources, Choorma is usually eaten with Dal and Baati as well 

To serve the whole thing, you got to break the baatis, pour ghee, next pour Dal and eat the choorma on the side. Else you can also mix some dal with the choorma and enjoy. This of course is an acquired taste. However the Dal Baati was a classic combination.



*************************

To all my ICC members, please link your post to Mr. Linky


12 comments :

Preeti Garg February 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM  

Look Delicious... I'm also using boiling nd frying method for bati... lovely taste..

Nivedita Thadani February 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM  

hi Valli,
Thanks for choosing this one dear, I always thought of making it and could not. You pushed me to make this and I really enjoyed the whole feast :-)

Priya February 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM  

Omg, wat a spread, you have done simply fabulous..Loving ur stepwise pictures,mine will be posting tonite.As am yet to make churma.

Nutan February 15, 2013 at 7:06 PM  

Looks awesome! I have posted mine. I enjoyed making this dish.

divya February 15, 2013 at 8:13 PM  

looks delicious...

kausers kitchen February 15, 2013 at 9:43 PM  

Wonderful post dear, dal bati looks delicious.

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi February 16, 2013 at 1:15 AM  

Just linked my entry..We thoroughly enjoyed the Rajasthani spread for dinner the other day. I appreciate your effort in doing the step wise pictures. I could never do it :)

Padmajha PJ February 16, 2013 at 8:44 AM  

Enjoyed being your partner in crime Srivalli. Loved the trio :)

Nivedhanams Sowmya February 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM  

such a well explained and detailed post!! very helpful stepwise as usual!!
Sowmya
Ongoing Event - Tried and Tasted - Raks Kitchen
Ongoing Event - Dish it out - Lentils & Garlic
Ongoing Event - Know Your Dairy - Cheese
Ongoing Event - What is with my Cuppa?

Chef Mireille February 19, 2013 at 7:36 AM  

I know I'm late in posting - it will go up tomorrow - I still have to edit photos, etc. I just finished making it today but I just have to say it was SO DELICIOUS - Today my lunch was amazing because of you :)

Chef Mireille February 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM  

mine is finally up and posted...thx

Pravina Parikh March 12, 2014 at 12:37 AM  

step by step pictures so easy to
make thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP