Aloo Matar Ka Pulao | Potato Peas Rice Recipe

>>  Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pin It

For the second day of cooking healthy lunch boxes for kids, I made this simple rice variety with potatoes and peas. Now there isn't much to say about Jeera Rice or Peas Pulao. Yet I find many are always in favour of these rices, maybe for the simple fact that they get to make it so quickly. This was one such case anyway. I had to make lunch for Konda and nothing came to mind. So I ended up checking out my bookmarked recipes and found this. 

So for the next day it was all decided that I would be making this. With peas being available in plenty, I did my share of freezing the fresh peas and this rice was using those frozen peas. I had shared a post on freezing fresh tuvar, freezing the peas is just the same as well. Check out to know how to freeze peas 

Days are still dull and I haven't been able to overcome the lazy weekend that went by. If you must know, I am stressed thinking how to cook up the remaining things I had chartered out for myself. Wish life was simpler with simpler needs! One wouldn't bother much about making a rice in so many different ways and hanging out the heart in hopes of hearing the kid returning back with elated note. Of course Konda is so sweet. She is no longer the kid who would torture her mom with never ending complaints on packed food. I have a big cheer leader and admirer in her. She gushes for anything I do and doesn't know that my heart flips ten times the way she does that. Girls are always so adorable!

Of course my boys are still in the stage when they are open about their feeling and openly confess their love, I wonder what will happen when they grow older. They might take their father in confidence and I will surely miss that. 

I now it's a while from now, so let me leave you to read this simple recipe that always will get you pats from your kids, if they don't mind rice for lunch.

Sending this to PJ, who is hosting my Kid's Delight Event, themed on Healthy Lunch Box Recipes.











Aloo Matar Ka Pulao


Ingredients Needed:

Rice - 1 cup
Ghee - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/4 tsp
Shelled Peas - 1/2 cup
Potatoes - 2 small
Roasted Cumin powder - 1 tbsp
Green Chilies - 2 small
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste

Whole Spices:

Bay Leaf - 1
Clove - 2
Cinnamon - 2
Cardamom - 2
Star Anise - 1
Maze - 1

How to make the Aloo Matar Ka Pulao

Wash and soak the rice for 15 mins.

Heat the ghee in pressure cooker and add cumin seeds, ginger garlic paste and green chillies. Saute well.

Next add all the whole spices and let them for a min or so. Then add drained peas and cubed potatoes.

Now add the salt, roasted coriander powder, and garam masala. Combine everything well and add drained rice.

Cook for couple of mins, then add 2 cups of water and replace the cooker lid. Pressure cook for 3 whistles or till done.


Notes:

The roasted coriander, powdered coarsely does the trick here. And of course the chilies. Somehow the recipe that I glanced through didn't call for any chilies, be it green or red. I wonder how one can eat with any chili!

Konda liked the rice very much, so you have a kid approved recipe here!

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 25


16 comments :

Nisha February 12, 2013 at 11:14 PM  

Loved the simple pulao . Quick one pot meal

Swasthi Blank February 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM  

makes a good lunch box dish. kids will love this

divya February 12, 2013 at 11:52 PM  

yummy..

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi February 13, 2013 at 12:29 AM  

Simple and yet aromatic.. I think the addition of aloo makes it kid friendly :)

Priya R February 13, 2013 at 3:51 AM  

Delicious pulao looks so good

Savitha Ganesan February 13, 2013 at 6:18 AM  

th will like this rice.well explained.

Arthy Suman February 13, 2013 at 6:41 AM  

Very healthy and appetizing i dont need any side for this.....

WeR SAHM February 13, 2013 at 8:13 AM  

simple and tasty pulao

Manju February 13, 2013 at 9:12 AM  

Quick and tasty pulav

Shruti Dhingra Wahi February 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM  

Simple and healthy Pulav !!!
shrutirasoi

Today's Recipe
Kadai Mushroom

kausers kitchen February 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM  

Simply delicious pulao.

Pavani February 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM  

What a lovely rice dish.. Looks simple & delicious.

Suma Gandlur February 14, 2013 at 8:17 AM  

I too usually keep frozen peas in stock. And the mildly spicy dish is inviting.

Chef Mireille February 14, 2013 at 9:46 AM  

love this simple dish

Priya February 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM  

Mildly flavoured beautiful pulao,one of my fav combo too.

Preeti Garg February 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM  

Love the simple rice recipe.. easy to make

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP