Gavvalu | Teepi Gavvalu ~ Festival Special Recipe

>>  Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pin It

One of the most famous sweets of Andhra, Gavvalu are prepared for most festivals, especially for Deepavali. However this is also something I have first known my Christian friends to prepare and share during Christmas. The first time I actually saw or tasted was from my neighbour and later came to know from Amma that this sweet is most common and famous in Andhra and is prepared for all festivals.

However since Amma always makes Kaja and other customary sweets for Deepavali, Gavvalu were never a part of our food culture. Infact until when my cousin's wife got it for us, I completely forgot about this sweet. On knowing that this was my favourite dish from childhood, my Pinni got me the special board that's used for making this. So having noted down a recipe that would work out best, I asked Amma to join me. She got another recipe from a old paper cutting, which we ended up making.


The sweet came out so well, that everybody were so much taken in and hubby dear wanted me to prepare this for our Sankranthi visit to my SIL's place. I always bake my nephew and nieces, cookies, so this time I will be taking these as well.






 








Gavvalu/Shells 


Ingredients Needed

For the Shells

All purpose flour - 1 cup
Rava - 2 tsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Oil for deep fry

For the Sugar Syrup

Sugar - 1 cup
Water enough to cover

Cook to make a single thread consistency

How to make the Sheels

In a wide bowl, take all the ingredients and using water slowly knead into a soft dough. Cover with a muslin cloth and rest it for 10 - 15 mins.

On the rolling pin (gavvala peeta), take a very small dough, press it forward. You will get a shell shaped ball.

Heat a pan with enough oil for deep frying. Once you have enough to deep fry, fry them in batches.

Have the sugar syrup ready, once the shells are cooked, drop them into the sugar syrup and let it coat all over. Remove from syrup, and keep it aside.



Notes
Can be stored for 10 days or more.
The dough should rest for at least 10 mins for the rava to be soaked well. And the balls you pinch down should be really small, only then the shells will get cooked well and stay crispy.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 23


16 comments :

Priya December 19, 2012 at 2:58 AM  

Unfortunately i dont have that rolling pin, love this sugar coated shells.

Nivedhanams Sowmya December 19, 2012 at 6:11 AM  

very authentic and very tasty!!! bookmarking this!!
Sowmya
Ongoing Event - Eggless Bakes and Treats
Ongoing Event - SYF&HWS - Ginger

Arthy Suman December 19, 2012 at 8:19 AM  

This reminds me of my aunt...looks so yummy...

kausers kitchen December 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM  

Those shells Look so yummy...

sushma December 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM  

Perfectly made. Yummy

vaishali sabnani December 19, 2012 at 4:37 PM  

love these shelled and wonderfully textured sweets..

Archana Potdar December 19, 2012 at 9:51 PM  

Love this. What is this differently shaped rolling pin?

divya December 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM  

Looks yum...love it...

The Pumpkin Farm December 19, 2012 at 11:28 PM  

lovely recipe, absolutely new to me...never heard about this n never noticed this rolling pin, would be handy to make some good pasta as well

foodiliciousnan December 20, 2012 at 12:36 AM  

Very pretty! Are these similar to Shakkar para?

Srivalli December 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM  

Thanks for the lovely comments

Archana This rolling pin is especially made for making this snack.

Nandini, The proportion is little different and of course the making is different from shakkar para..though I can say it might taste somewhat same..:)..whatever working on that rolling pin makes this so interesting

Pavani December 22, 2012 at 4:01 AM  

It has been soooo long that i had these. They look delicious.

Chef Mireille December 22, 2012 at 9:06 AM  

these are so cute - looks like little pasta shells. Totally new to me - will have to try these

preeti garg December 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM  

Awesome recipe... never tried this type of tradition recipe

Suma Gandlur December 24, 2012 at 5:58 AM  

Yummy ones. This post reminded me that I haven't posted the sweet version yet.

Padmajha PJ December 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM  

What an easy snack!Where can we get that gavvala peeta?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP