Carrot Pickle | Gajar Ka Achar ~ Step by Step

>>  Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pin It

For the final day I decided on this pickle that's been on my mind for a long time. I don't normally make Pickles at home. When there are experts like Amma and Athamma are there, why should I bother right, and moreover pickles are hardly the fast moving item at home. So I never venture into making these. However when I thought of carrots, something triggered my memory of Carrot Pickle.

Somewhere the memory jogged about a pickle made with carrot and I was left wondering how it must really taste. Of course carrot being carrot, I knew it will end up being sweet. Imagine a sweet pickle at home, I was sure nobody would touch it. So I ended up making it the spicy way. I used the Aavakai Uragaya Masala, for this pickle also.

I made this four days back and everyday was spent keeping this out and in on all days. On the second day I covered the jar with muslin cloth and made sure the jar was always under sun. Amma correctly reminded the mishap that happened the last time I made a pickle and used a ceramic bowl and Peddu broke it while playing. 

So I was careful to ensure I had a plastic jar. After clicking the pickle I tasted the pickle and found it almost like the Aavakai Pickle but with the Carrot being crunchy.














Preparation Time: 15 mins
Resting Time:  4- 5 days until soft and done under sun.


Carrot Pickle:

Ingredients Needed:

Carrots - 1 cup
Mustard Powder - 2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 3 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
Cooking oil - 4 tbsp

Method:
Wash the carrots and dry pat well. Cut them into long pieces. In a bowl, mix in all the ingredients and adjust taste and spice.

In a dry bottle, transfer the pickle and keep in hot sun for a week.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 23


17 comments :

foodiliciousnan December 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM  

I too have a ajar achaar post lined up for next week :) my fav childhood pickle

preeti garg December 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM  

I love carrot pickle... Specially with mustard seeds
it's good for health too and very instant to prepare

Vijayalakshmi Dharmaraj December 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM  

new to me!!
Ghee Rice
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

divya December 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM  

looks very tempting...

Amelia December 12, 2012 at 10:00 PM  

Hi Srivalli, your carrot pickle look tempting. Very appetizing!

Have a nice week ahead,regards.

Nivedhanams Sowmya December 12, 2012 at 11:01 PM  

tongue tickling and lip smacking pickle!!! so delicious!!!
Sowmya
Ongoing Event - Eggless Bakes and Treats
Ongoing Event - SYF&HWS - Ginger

Sreevalli E December 13, 2012 at 3:05 AM  

I came across this achar many times in a restaurant & just loved it.. First time seeing a recipe for that. bookmarking it. :)

Veena Theagarajan December 13, 2012 at 8:30 AM  

I hv tried carrot pickle long time ago ... your version looks so tempting
http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

Mishka December 13, 2012 at 11:59 AM  

I'd like to try it out tonight. But I can't find any turmeric powder. Is there any substitute for this spice? Chili powder maybe?

Priya December 13, 2012 at 4:18 PM  

Love this pickle, i do the instant version very often whenever i feel like having pickle.

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com December 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM  

Such a tongue tickling yumm pickle!

Gujarati Zaika December 14, 2012 at 1:40 PM  

very yummy

PJ December 14, 2012 at 4:43 PM  

Nice pikle Srivalli.It is nice if the pickle has a crunch but my folks don't prefer it this way...

rekhas kitchen December 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM  

I too make carrot pickle but in North Indian style this one is tremendously mouthwatering reipe...

Pavani December 15, 2012 at 6:45 AM  

That first click looks awesome.. I think I wouldn't mind the sweetness of carrot in this pickle, gives a new dimension of taste to a pickle.

Chef Mireille December 16, 2012 at 10:42 AM  

what a unique pickle!

The Pumpkin Farm December 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM  

i made something similar with sambharu ( a gujarati pickle powder)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP