Aloo Matar Sabji | Potato Peas Curry ~ Step by Step

>>  Saturday, November 24, 2012

We are starting the BM # 22, 4th week today. I decided to do Cooking from a TV Soap. For this Theme one should cook the dishes that appeared in a TV serial. It can be any language, but only from a soap and not a cookery program.

I haven't been watching TV for over a decade now. And I am so out of sync with what's happening  I came to know about this Hindi Soap Iss Pyar Ko Kya Naam Doon recently, and it came highly recommended. I ended up watching it and by then it was almost 300 odd episodes crossed. I got hooked on as I always used to watch only Hind programmes, even when I was watching years ago. It was no wonder I ended up catching up with this soap from the beginning.

‘Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon’ is a star-crossed love story of contrast of personalities entwined in a relationship swinging between love & hate. The lead pair, Khushi and Arnav have diametrically opposite ideologies. This is a story about their life. When I thought of this theme, I never realised that the serial would be going through a rough patch and so much commotion revolving what with the hero planning to quit the show. Well whatever might be the outcome of what's happening, I have enjoyed watching it and enjoyed cooking this meal.

This being a family oriented story, naturally revolves around food. The funny part is, when the heroine gets upset or tensed, she ends up making, guess what, Jalebis! The first time they show this, they created a drama that almost made everybody think that she might consider a suicide attempt, instead when ends up making Jalebis. Since I have already posted Jalebis, I had to select something else.

The heroine is very food of eating and cooking as well. She can also never fast and will only be thinking of food when she has to fast. There are many episodes where the cast talk about food. The show sometimes starts and ends with a dining room scene, where you get to see many tempting dishes on display. I selected one such episode where Khushi, being very tensed and upset, ends up cooking a feast. All because she didn't want to make Jalebis. When asked what she was doing, she responds saying she is tensed and had to concentrate on something, that something is always cooking for her. 

She makes Aloo Mater Ki Subzi, Bedmi Poori, Katti dal, Suki Methi and Jeera Rice. So for the next three days you will be reading about what Khushi made to relax herself.
  Aloo Matar Sabji

Aloo Matar Sabji 

Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 15 mins

Ingredients Needed:

Potatoes / Aloo - 3 medium
Green peas, shelled (blanched) - 1 cup
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Onions - 1 big
Ginger, grated - 2"
Green Chilies - 2 medium
Oil - 2 tbsp
Red Chilli powder  - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Roasted Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
Tomato - 1 small
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves for garnish

How to make Aloo Matar Sabji

If you are using fresh peas, shell and blanch in hot water.

Else wash well and microwave for 8 mins. Keep it aside. Microwave potatoes for 8 mins. Soak in water and peel the skin off.

Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and when it crackles add onions, saute well. Then add grated ginger and chopped green chilli, saute for a minute.

Now add the boiled potatoes, mix everything well.

Next add the red chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder, and coriander powder, mix well and add chopped tomatoes. combine and simmer for few mins.

When the masala is cooked for couple of minutes, add the cooked peas, 1/2 cup water, Garam masala. Let this simmer for 6 mins. Finally garnish with chopped coriander leaves.


This is more of a dry side dish, but can easily be served with rotis/ pooris.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 22


divya November 24, 2012 at 1:56 AM  

Wonderful, looks very delicious.

Priya R November 24, 2012 at 2:41 AM  

simple and delicious curry

Priya November 24, 2012 at 4:55 AM  

I dont have patience to watch soaps, now you know why i didnt choosed this theme.

Potato peas curry is one of my favourite curry, btw that platter looks fabulous.

Arthy Suman November 24, 2012 at 6:54 AM  

Yummy dishes with lovely clicks...

Nivedhanams Sowmya November 24, 2012 at 8:02 AM  

Delicious combo!!! and the plate is so inviting!!

Ongoing Event - CWF - Whole Wheat Flour
Ongoing Event - Let's Party - Eggless Bakes and Treats

Rajani S November 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM  

If I were to cook such a meal whenever I get upset, my hubby will pour a lot of energy into upsetting me :)))))

Great spread Valli, looking forward to reading more!

The Pumpkin Farm November 24, 2012 at 3:13 PM  

cool recipe Valli...I watch this soap regularly against all the odds at home and simply to get back to hubby and son who otherwise do not let me watch TV at all...and also bcoz Khushi is fond of cooking , there is always this pull...and her jalebi mountains i s also one of the high points...this episode is clearly etched out..will watch out for all ur recipes from there

foodiliciousnan November 24, 2012 at 4:13 PM  

If there's one north Indian sabji i love most, it has to be this. Alu and matar is a combo made in heaven! Waiting for the other Khushi recipes!

Roha November 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM  

beautiful, looks very delicious.

Vijayalakshmi Dharmaraj November 24, 2012 at 5:43 PM  

lovely combo of subji.... i too love this very much...

kausers kitchen November 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM  

Looks very delicious Valli.
Have a lovely weekend dear :)

thoushaltcook November 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM  

Beautiful thali Valli. :) I am indeed having a tough time trying to remember which soap what recipe. But thanks for the lovely opportunity Loving it

Jayashree November 24, 2012 at 6:19 PM  

I watch very little TV...and never watch soaps, but I like the way you've described the characters.

Archana Potdar November 24, 2012 at 6:22 PM  

looks great. I am hosting Kids Delight from 16th Nov to 15th Dec’2012 . Do send me your entries

Rumana Ambrin November 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM  

The sabji looks very easy and delicious..

Pavani November 25, 2012 at 1:16 AM  

With my mom with us, she's getting me hooked to some of the telugu soaps.
Curry looks delicious.

Chef Mireille November 25, 2012 at 5:41 AM  

easy and inviting looking curry

rekhas kitchen November 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM  

Perfect combination with rotis and puris I never tried like this always I made it as a gravy.. will try this next time.

PJ November 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM  

I don't watch TV much these days,either lil one or hubby has the remote and there is no time for me as of now.But I do watch a few on star world when they are not around.

This soap seems very interesting esp. coz it has a lot of foodie thing going on. Will try to see if I can see a couple of episodes

The recipe seems to be very flavorful.The thali looks yum,Nice one Srivalli :)

Usha September 15, 2016 at 1:12 AM  

This was the time when I was in my own world, watching the show nonstop, multiple times and was virtually living in Shantivan!! I remember this episode as well. She cooks up a storm and to finish it, she takes it to the office to feed AR employees, isn't it? You allo matar ki sabji looks yummy !!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP