badge


Bermi Parathas | How to Make Bermi Parathas

>>  Wednesday, October 3, 2012


We are starting the 21st Edition of Blogging Marathon.  When I decided to make different dishes with Moong dal, the inspiration came from the fact that I had a magazine that had some delicious looking Moong Dal recipes. I have been forever planning to make. I don't understand how I missed having this theme all this while. So when I remembered those recipes, I immediately wanted to have that theme this edition. Only can you believe my hard luck! I misplaced the magazine and have been forever searching for that ever since. 

The days drew in fast and I had none to make from. So a fanatical search from my stored recipes lead me to couple of dishes that I hope will satisfy my wish on making moong dal dishes. I hope I lay my hands on that book again, it had such pretty pictures! 


Coming to the theme, to make it more complicated I decided to have a combo within the them. Guess what, it worked against me, none of the combo I decided was easy enough for myself to make, so I am finally struck up with a theme that makes me scratch my head for ideas. Well I have enjoyed browsing through my records and I hope these do justice to the theme.

Bermi Parathas are something where Moong dal is mixed with Spring Onions and stuffed in a paratha. I was checking around to see if I can understand what Bermi means and if I can simply avoid the spring onions. The only reference I had were the links to Tarla Dalal and so many others that were simply reproduction of this. And all the recipes invariably had spring onions, so that made an urgent visit to the shop imminent. And not to mention whatever is meaning behind these parathas, we surely enjoyed it.




Ingredients Needed:

For the dough

Whole Wheat flour - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Water to knead
Oil for cooking

For the stuffing:

Split Yellow Moong dal / Green Gram - 3 tbsp
Spring Onions, finely chopped - 2 tbsp
Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Roasted Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste

How to make the parathas

For the dough

Take the flour in a wide bowl, and knead into a soft dough. Keep it aside to rest for 10 mins.

For the stuffing:

Wash and soak the moong dal for 30 mins, drain the dal and mix in finely chopped spring onions, chili powder, cumin powder and salt.

Make small balls of the dough and roll out into discs. Place just enough stuffing on one roti and place the other and seal well.

Heat a tawa and cook the paratha on both sides with oil



Notes:

You can make this as the regular stuffed paratha, however with the moong dal still in shape, it becomes hard to roll out properly.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 21


16 comments :

divya October 3, 2012 at 4:34 AM  

Looks just absolutely yummy!!

vaishali sabnani October 3, 2012 at 9:12 AM  

Valli, these taste awsum, but I use the regular onion..and when u all come down I must make these..they are a big hit in the family..I add some more spices and the rolling too is easy..ha..ha..can u bel even I chose these but gave up thinking they would be simple..but they are awsum:)

Nivedhanams Sowmya October 3, 2012 at 10:00 AM  

very interesting and new dish!! atleast new to me!! bookmarking it!!
Sowmya
Ongoing Event - Healthy Foods for Healthy Kids - Combo Meals
Ongoing Event + Giveaway - CEDD – HONEY

Priya October 3, 2012 at 12:40 PM  

This parathas looks awesome, never stuffed moongdal like this in parathas, will give a try soon.

Happy Cook / Finla October 3, 2012 at 12:51 PM  

This paratha is really new to me, bu then mmost of the parathas are new to me :-) looks good this one.

thoushaltcook October 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM  

I love this paratha. Almost a staple at my mom's place.

PriyaVaasu October 3, 2012 at 4:31 PM  

Very new recipe valli !! Filling n healthy parathas!!

Vijayalakshmi Dharmaraj October 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM  

very yummy paratha... its new to me...
Vegetable Fried Rice using Normal Rice
Join in my first event - FEAST FOR YOUR GURU
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

Gayathri Kumar October 3, 2012 at 7:28 PM  

Never heard of these parathas. The combination looks nice...

DivyaGCP October 3, 2012 at 7:54 PM  

Delicious and healthy parathas.

Divya's Culinary Journey

Uma Ramanujam October 3, 2012 at 10:18 PM  

Never tasted such parathas. Bookmarked it. Looks great.

Jayanthi October 3, 2012 at 11:58 PM  

Adding moong dal in parathas is totally new to me. Love it Valli....

PJ October 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM  

Happens all the time na!You look for it and its missing and when you are looking for something else the other one pops up!!
And the parathas are definitely healthy and delicious...

foodiliciousnan October 6, 2012 at 1:46 AM  

wat an interesting name! And unique combination of ingredients for stuffing too. Just wondered, could these be 'burmi' parathas, as in from 'Burma'?

Suma Gandlur October 13, 2012 at 4:26 AM  

Haven't come across these anywhere.
Valli, I tried earlier some other parathas like these, putting stuffing between 2 rotis and I wasn't satisfied with the way they came out after frying even after slow cooking. Do you think the inner side of the rotis cook well?

preeti garg October 17, 2012 at 11:46 PM  

Great Recipe....

Ongoing Event & Giveaway
Visit @ My Blogs
Preeti's Kitchen Life
Preeti's Kitchen Menu

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP