Onion Rasam | Vengaya Rasam ~ Step by Step

>>  Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Pin It

For the third day of cooking with Onions, I was lost wondering what to make, when I suddenly remembered my colleague once telling me that she used to make Onion rasam. Then I had another friend telling me the same and I always wanted to make it myself. Since I didn't write down either of the recipe, I just went ahead making it my own way.

This turned out very tasty and with simple dal chutney, it made a delicious feast!











Onion Rasam

Pearl Onions / Small Onions - 1 cup
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Tamarind pulp - 1 tbsp
Cooked Toor Dal - 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves handful

For ground powder

Garlic - 4 cloves
Red chilies - 4
Curry leaves - 3 - 4 springs
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Whole peppercorns - 1/2 tsp

Dal powder
Roasted Channa dal - 1 tsp
Roasted toor dal - 1/2 tsp

For Tempering

Curry leaves
Red chiles -2
Ghee - 1 tsp
Hing a pinch
Mustard Seeds, Urad dal - 1/2 tsp


How to make Onion Rasam

Wash and pressure cook dal till it's soft.

Soak and extract tamarind pulp

Microwave tomatoes till soft and keep it aside.

Make a coarse powder of all the ingredients mentioned under ground powder

Dry roast the dals and allow to cool. Then powder to a fine powder.

Soak pearl onions and peel the skin.

In a pan, heat ghee, temper with mustard, urad dal, curry leaves and hing. Then add the ground powder, saute well. Then add the pearl onions and saute till they turn brown.

Then add the dal powder. Finally add the dal water and coriander leaves, bring to boil. Once one boil, remove from gas.



 Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 20


19 comments :

vaishali sabnani September 19, 2012 at 3:57 PM  

I love these little beauties..and I am sure by now u know Rasam is one of my fav among South cuisine..the combination of the two must have been wonderful!.

Priya September 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM  

Love this fingerlicking and definitely a flavourful rasam..

preeti garg September 19, 2012 at 4:39 PM  

Awesome meal for any lunch and dinner...
I love this fried chakli made by rice... its mine timepass item at time time of tv or with friends

Shruti Dhingra Wahi September 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM  

Looks yummy :-)

shrutirasoi

Today's Recipe
Amritsari Kulcha

Vijayalakshmi Dharmaraj September 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM  

nice one...
HAPPY VINAYAGAR CHATHURTHI TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
Today: My Glass Painting of Vinayagar
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

Vijayalakshmi Dharmaraj September 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM  

nice one...
HAPPY VINAYAGAR CHATHURTHI TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
Today: My Glass Painting of Vinayagar
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

divya September 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM  

looks yummy .....

foodiliciousnan September 19, 2012 at 7:18 PM  

I.ve heard of this before and found it quite strange. But this looks absolutely wonderful Valli. I think i just have to try this out

Nupur September 19, 2012 at 8:15 PM  

ohh,... I have never ever have made a Rasam before.. Guess its time I should hit the ball with this one.. Very simple and easy recipe dear

Please visit my blog for your participation in the running events

Cook with-Poppy Seeds

Cook n Bake with - Spinach

Be My Guest

ANU September 19, 2012 at 10:41 PM  

very new and interesting!
SYF&HWS - Cook with Spices

South Indian Cooking (SIC) Series

Sangeetha September 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM  

loved your version of onion rasam, will try it sometime...entire spread looks very inviting!!

Pink Diary September 20, 2012 at 4:45 AM  

i tried rassam once, i like it. i went to several indian restaurant around here in scotland couldn't find rassam in their menu. very frustrating

sushma September 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM  

Wow I love rasam....this looks awesome

Jayanthi September 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM  

Even I've heard of onion rasam....I think I need to try it soon too! Looks super yummy.

Chef Mireille September 21, 2012 at 7:19 AM  

yummy looking rasam

Rajani S September 21, 2012 at 1:16 PM  

This is a totally new rasam for me (I know only two kinds, btw :D). Love this!

The Pumpkin Farm September 21, 2012 at 2:43 PM  

super delicious....having been to the land of idlies...now...i can only imagine how delicious this must be tasting...local idli sambhar or rasam wil never fascinate me anymore..

Prabha Mani September 21, 2012 at 6:58 PM  

Never tried making rasam with onions...Loved the first picture..tempting click!

vidhas September 22, 2012 at 8:03 PM  

New to me, venga rasam looks delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP