badge


Onion Kulchas | How to make Onion Kulcha Step by Step Recipe

>>  Monday, September 17, 2012


We are starting the third week of Blogging Marathon and I will be sharing dishes showcasing Onions. Now I can never imagine cooking without Onions. If you ask me, I have never done it. So Probably you won't find me doing a theme Cooking without Onions, however cooking with it, is quite a pleasure. Or so I thought. For though all of my side dishes or the gravies that I make, has onions, it was quite hard to think of exclusive dishes that had the star ingredient as just Onions.

The other Onion main dishes I have already blogged, so it was brain racking experience deciding which and what to make. Today's Onion Kulchas were pretty easy. I had given this as one of the challenges in ICC two months back and I didn't get to do all three at that point. I had saved up this recipe to be done later and now is the apt time.

Paneer Kulcha
Aloo Anardana Kulcha



The exams are on full swing for my kids and tomorrow I have to make some salads for the boys. Now that has me in a spot, what should I send them has been the biggest question since I knew about it. Sunday evening their father took them out for a play and later they insisted that they eat out. since it was just going to be a play thing, they left without us. But having gone there, it was only natural they asked for eating out. Hubby dear told them that they shouldn't come and tell me that they ate out. For which Peddu very innocently replied that they shouldn't say that because I will come to know they infact ate out. For all the worldly talk he gave, the moment they came back home they both came over to me and said they didn't go out for eating and they didn't eat chicken. LOL I was laughing out so loud and they didn't understand what was so funny. And being so high on the weekend thing, they slept late and wouldn't wake up this morning at all. It was a hard thing to wake up the babies and rush them to school! 

Konda was just five when the boys were born, yet she showed so much more maturity and carried herself as the big sister. Overnight I felt she changed and we made sure she never felt left out. My boys are soon going to be six, yet they still sound and look like babies to me. Peddu has been after me to make some plum cake for him (he refers dark chocolate cake as plum) and I am yet to make anything for them. So that's one strong reminder that I have to get back to baking soon.

Coming to the recipe, we really enjoyed the crunchy onions in the Kulchas and I am sure this is a recipe that I would be making more often.


















Stuffed Onion Kulchas

Preparation Time: 15 mins
Resting Time : 1 hour min
Making time : 3 -4 mins per piece
Makes : 15 - 18 kulchas

For the Kulchas outer layer

Ingredients Needed:

Maida / All purpose flour - 4 cups
Baking powder - 3/4 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Curds / Yogurt - 3/4 cup
Ghee - 2 tsp
Milk - 1 cup appr.
Oil - 2 tsp

For the Filling:

Onion, julinnes - 1 large
Ajwain - 1/4 tsp
Cumin - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Red chili powder - 3/4 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp

How to make the Outer layer for the Kulchas:

In a wide bowl, sift the flour with soda, baking powder, salt. Gradually mix in the curds, ghee. Rub well. Then slowly add the milk and knead to a soft dough. Cover with a a damp cloth and rest the dough for 30 minutes.

Beat down again, mix in a tsp of oil and cover again. Let it rest for 30 mins more.

Divide the dough into six to eight equal portions and form them into smooth balls.

For making the Stuffing:

Heat a non stick pan with oil, saute the onions along with the other ingredients till the onions are soft. Remove and cool

Making the Kulchas

Flatten a portion of dough, place a portion of the onion mix in the centre and fold the edges over to form a ball.

Place the stuffed ball on a lightly floured surface and roll gently into a disc of four to five inch diameter.

Similarly make the remaining kulchas.

Place the kulchas on hot tawa, cook on both sides.

If you want to bake, place the rolled out kulchas on the greased baking tray and bake in a preheated oven for about six to eight minutes.

Brush the hot kulchas with oil and serve immediately.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 20


19 comments :

A Kamalika Krishmy September 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM  

its my favorite

tamilsasikitchen September 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM  

Yummy kulchas....love it...

Priya R September 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM  

I love onions in kulcha too :-) lovely recipe want to try it

Priya
Special K Cookies



Meg's Delicious Adventures September 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM  

nice step by step recipe dear. awesome clicks.

- Meg's Delicious Adventures

Nivedhanams Sowmya September 17, 2012 at 4:39 PM  

nice recipe.. thanks for sharing!!
Sowmya

Ongoing Event - Coconut

Ongoing Event - Healthy Foods for Healthy Kids - Combo Meals

Priya September 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM  

Can imagine the taste of this flavourful kulcha,yumm..

vaishali sabnani September 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM  

Valli girls always mature faster..compared to boys..but these kids..so innocent loved reading about them!!..n i like these onion kulchas, never made with sauted onion, will ry these soon.

ANU September 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM  

very nice and yummy!
SYF&HWS - Cook with Spices

South Indian Cooking (SIC) Series

Sangeetha September 18, 2012 at 1:42 AM  

Kulchas with sauted onions,good one and looks inviting...gonna try it soon!

divya September 18, 2012 at 4:02 AM  

yummy...

Priyas Feast September 18, 2012 at 8:31 AM  

UR blog will be very helpful for daily cooking.. :) Innovative kulcha..

Jayanthi September 18, 2012 at 10:00 AM  

My daughter is same age as konda and my son is 6...I totally agree that girls are much mature than boys and it was so much fun reading about your boys. The kulcha looks awesome..

PJ September 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM  

It a wonder, na!Had the same experience when my lil one was born.Lil Angel who was just 3 and a half years old looked so matured all of a sudden and started helping me!!

And LOL on that 'didn't go out and didn't eat chicken'.Kids!!!!

The onion kulchas look so tempting Srivalli....

Chef Mireille September 19, 2012 at 11:12 PM  

these look so delicious

Sangeetha Nambi September 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM  

Never tried and tasted it... Thanks...
http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

sushma September 20, 2012 at 10:26 PM  

Never thought Kulcha is soo simple to prepare...looks great

Rajani S September 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM  

This recipe is in the bookmark section for quite a long time now! Time to give it a try :)

These look really tempting :)

vidhas September 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM  

Love onion kulcha.

preeti garg September 25, 2012 at 8:36 PM  

Awesome kulcha...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP