Dal Makhani Recipe 2, Nilgiri Style | How to make Dal Makhani ~ Step by Step


For the second day of making dals, I wanted to try a recipe that's been with me for a while. I got introduced to Ajoy’s, Nilgiri through Ganga. Ever since then whenever I remember I land in his blog to read about his adventure as a chef and owner of a restaurant. He writes very well and makes you experience the cooking through his cooking. He shares his recipes in his posts and I saved couple of them to be tried later.

So when I thought I must try a new dal for the BM, I remembered this Dal Makhani and wanted to make it. This recipe is different from the one I normally make at home. I was floored with the quantity I ended up and saved it for three days of non stop Dal Makhani. That still didn't deter from enjoying my dal everyday. I served it with Naan, roti, chapati and yes finally Jeera rice as well. 

As I thought there is no dearth of another delicious dal to be enjoyed.
Dal Makhani Recipe 1

Dal Makhani


Step by Step Recipe 























Ingredients Needed

Whole Black lentils / Saboot Urad Dal - 1/2 cup
Rajma / Dried red kidney beans - 1/2 cup
Bengal Gram/ Channa dal / Split chickpeas - 1/4 cup

Whole Spices

Cinnamon stick - 2 "
Cardamom pods - 3 green
Cloves - 3

Other ingredients

Bay Leaf - 2 small
Onion - 1 big
Fresh Ginger, grated - 1 tbsp
Garlic, crushed - 4 big
Chilli powder 2–4 tsp
Green Chilies - 2 medium
Chopped tomatoes 400 g
Unsalted butter 1 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Fenugreek leaves, crushed 4 tsp


Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Overnight Soaking - 6 -8 hrs
Cooking time: 45 mins
http://nilgiris.com.au/pages/indian-recipes/indian-vegetarian-meals/dal-makhani.pdf


Wash and rinse the lentils. Cover with thrice it's amount of water and saok overnight. Change waters and take the lentils in pressure cooker.

In muslin cloth, take the whole spices and make a bag. Make sure the spices don't come out. Pressure cook for 3 04 whistles depending on the dal getting cooked.

In a non stick pan, heat the oil, add bay leaf and saute. Next a chopped ginger and garlic. Saute for couple of mins. Add chopped green chilies and onions. Cook till the onions are done.

Next add the tomatoes, chili powder and salt. Cover with lid and cook till the tomatoes are done.

When the pressure subsides in the cooker, remove the spice bag. Add the cooked dal to the simmering pan, add more water as required. Continue cooking for the next 15 mins. The consistency should be like thick soup.

Finally add the fenugreek leaves.

Serve with Naan or Jeera rice.

Notes:

Only after cooking did I realise the original recipe didn't ask for onions be added. Apart from this I also somehow thought of add bay leaf. Anyway what really matters is the delicious dal we had to enjoy


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 20

Labels: , , , , , ,