badge


Balti Paneer | Side Dish for Rice / Roti

>>  Sunday, August 5, 2012

For the final and the third day of BM, I choose to make Baalti Paneer. Since I saw her posting this Balti Paneer, I decided I was going to make it. I can't miss trying yet another paneer dish right. I must be feeling happy that I have my kids loving Paneer as much as I do. It makes it all the more easy to making new dishes with Paneer.

When I read through the recipe, I realised I didn't have the Watermelon Seed or the Watermelon Kernels called magaz tari in Hindi. So had to make this after getting it. The only thing I didn't do was to check on what balti means. Which I did just now, knowing it's not late to research on the dish. 

A Balti is a British-style type of curry served in a thin, pressed steel wok-like "balti bowl". According to the Wiki, the precise origins of the Balti style of cooking are uncertain; it is believed to have originated either from England or from Pakistani. 'Balti' food is named after the pot in which it is cooked. Balty or Balti means "bucket." which refers to the steel or iron pot in which the food is cooked or served.
Reading that the paneer used in this gravy is actually fried as a pakoda and added, reminded me of the dish that's served in a restaurant near our place. I know this wasn't the same, yet it was indeed very delicious. When I made the Paneer Pakoda, I served half as such and the kids loved it so much.

Rest was added just before serving the gravy, for the Rajma Biryani that I made. Both made a great pair and I am sure I will be making this regularly at home. 
Step by Step Picture Recipe





Balti Paneer

Ingredients Needed:

For the Paneer Pakoras
Paneer cut into cubes - 250 gms
Gram Flour / Besan - 1/2 cup
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste

In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, and red chili powder. Slowly add water just enough to make a thick batter. 
Heat a pan with oil, dip the paneer pieces in the batter and deep fry till the paneer is crisp and golden in colour. Keep it aside.

For the Gravy

Ghee - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Bay leaf - 2 small
Onions sliced - 1 big
Tomatoes boiled and pureed - 3
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder
Turmeric powder a pinch
Coriander powder 1 tsp

Salt to taste

For the Cream paste

Almond / Badam - 8
Magaz Tari / Watermelon seeds - 1 tbsp
Milk - 1 cup

For Final Garnish

Kasoori methi 2 pinches
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp

Preparation
In a microwave bowl, take almonds, fill with just enough water, microwave for a minute, remove the skin. Soak almonds and magaz tari in water for 10 mins and make a paste along with milk. 

How to make the gravy:

Heat a Kadai or nonstick deep vessel with ghee and oil, add cumin seed and bay leaf. 

Then add sliced onions, cook till the onions turn pink. Next, add ginger garlic paste and saute well.

Now add the magaz tari paste, saute well. Then add pureed tomatoes and all the spices powders. Cook till oil separates.

Add enough water to get a thick consistency. 

Finally add the kasoori methi, garam masala, and simmer for 5 mins.

Just before serving add the paneer pakodas. 
Notes:

Capsicum was also added, which I skipped. Also, the paneer pakodas were to be added before simmering, however, I added just a few mins before serving the gravy.

As always I just replace milk for recipes that call for fresh cream. I seriously have never found this wanting. Though of course, I know fresh cream will really make the dish very creamy. But then who wants that rich creamy gravy for a dinner, even if that happens to be a special one.

Blogging Marathon 1st week was Cooking from BM Blogs and I posted two gravies from Vaishali

Matar Aloo ka Nimona
Paneer Lajawab

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 19


11 comments :

vaishali sabnani August 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM  

This is a specialty at the restaurant..people really like this dish..of course when I make I cut down the oil, spices and all those fatty things..bu still it turns out good..and ya nice info on the balti thing:))

PriyaVaasu August 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM  

Name is very catchy valli!!! Mouth-watering!!

Archana August 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM  

Wow this looks yum. Love the explanation for balti.
I am hosting WTML All through August’12. Do send me your entries

Priyas Feast August 5, 2012 at 11:32 PM  

Wow..the recipe sounds very new to me..will try this recipe for sure..

Nupur August 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM  

English People here love this,and I love the funny way they pronounce Balti :D

I never knew we have to fry the Paneer first as Pakodas... Thanks for the info

Sowmya Karthy August 6, 2012 at 12:27 PM  

Looks very creamy.. With the picture, I thought it was Paneer Butter Masala.. This dish is new to me and looks yummm

Sowmya
http://nivedhanams.blogspot.in/

PJ August 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM  

New to me but sounds delicious.Bookmarked...

Priya August 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM  

Had once this balti paneer in a restaurant, how tasty this dish will be na.. Yummy.

The Pumpkin Farm August 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM  

you have picked such amazing array of dishes....this one tops the list

sushma August 9, 2012 at 2:11 AM  

Gravy looks great

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi August 9, 2012 at 7:07 AM  

mouth watering gravy, Valli.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP