badge


Stuffed Paneer Kulcha | How to make Paneer Stuffed Kucha

>>  Thursday, July 19, 2012

For the last day of stuffed dishes in BM#18, I wanted to make Paneer Kulchas. When I selected Kulchas to be made for Indian Cooking Challenge couple of months back, I selected three different stuffing and wanted to be sure I make all of them. So finally got around making this delicious kulchas with paneer stuffing. Konda love this so much, even though it's almost the same stuffing I make. Maybe it mattered with the outer layer and everything together.

If I remember right, Paneer Kulchas were the first ones I tried. When I ordered it in a restaurant, I was surprised to see those circle parathas being offered. It was so many years ago and a time I wouldn't order anything other than Naans. So it was quite a challenge that I was setting out to do. But in fact it turned out that there wasn't much of a difference between the way the chefs make Naans or Kulchas these days. The outer layer is the same and in most places they don't make stuffed Naans anyways. So you end up ordering what's called a kulcha.
Stuffed Paneer Kulcha
Stuffed Paneer Kulcha
When I was reading on the original ways of making Naans or Kulchas, they say that originally Naans were made out of whole wheat flour and baked in a tandoori oven, whereas Kulchas were rolled out with stuffing. Of course the leavening agent being is different, the texture and taste might vary a bit. But it all boils down to the same thing these days. 

The other day when we went to our club restaurant, the chef dropped in to meet us at the table. We get those not on the menu dishes prepared for us specially. Coming to think of it, I can't judge his age, however looks like he has been cooking for a while as he is a master for many dishes. So when he dropped in, hubby dear asked him for a special non veg starter and I ended up asking for a paneer kulchas. When I got them, well it tastes great, the stuffing had a mix of paneer and onions. One half of it was paneer, the other half onions. Now sure how he made that, anyway the bread was great. So come to think of it, I love Naans and kulchas and I don't want to think further on how each one is made. In this age, one doesn't really give lot of importance to these things. If it's good to eat, they are just happy.









    

Stuffed Paneer Kulchas


Preparation Time: 15 mins
Resting Time : 1 hour min
Making time : 3 -4 mins per piece
Makes : 15 - 18 kulchas

For the Kulchas outer layer

Ingredients Needed:

Maida / All purpose flour - 4 cups
Baking powder - 3/4 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Curds / Yogurt - 3/4 cup
Ghee - 2 tsp
Milk - 1 cup appr.
Oil - 2 tsp

For the Paneer Stuffing

Indian Cottage Cheese / Homemade Paneer, grated - 300 grams
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Chaat masala  - 1/2 tsp
Roasted Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp

How to make the Outer layer for the Kulchas:

In a wide bowl, sift the flour with soda, baking powder, salt. Gradually mix in the curds, ghee. Rub well. Then slowly add the milk and knead to a soft dough. Cover with a a damp cloth and rest the dough for 30 minutes.

Beat down again, mix in a tsp of oil and cover again. Let it rest for 30 mins more.

Divide the dough into six to eight equal portions and form them into smooth balls.

For making the Stuffing:

Make Paneer and keep it ready. If you made it just then, you can crumble it, else grate it in a bowl.

Take the grated or crumbled paneer in a bowl, add the red chilli powder, chaat masala, roasted cumin powder and salt to taste. Mix well and make balls of equal portions and set aside.

Making the Kulchas

Flatten a portion of dough, place a portion of the paneer mix in the centre and fold the edges over to form a ball.

Place the stuffed ball on a lightly floured surface and roll gently into a disc of four to five inch diameter.

Brush lightly with a little of oil, sprinkle some onion seeds on the surface and press with your palm.

Similarly make the remaining kulchas.

Place the kulchas on hot tawa, cook on both sides.

If you want to bake, place the rolled out kulchas on the greased baking tray and bake in a preheated oven for about six to eight minutes.

Brush the hot kulchas with oil and serve immediately.
How to make Paneer Kulcha
Paneer Kulcha
Other Stuffed Dishes

Aloo Stuffed Karela Curry
Aloo Stuffed Pepper Pakodas

Naan Recipes
Naan without Tandoor Oven
Baked Naan
Tawa Naan

Other Indian Breads


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 18


20 comments :

Shobha July 19, 2012 at 3:34 PM  

Wow ! superb..
Kulcha has come out so well.

Anonymous July 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM  

One of your post you mentioned about Dil Pasand (Puffs) you ate in your childhood near TNagar bus terminal. Is it still available. My grandpa used to get it, I feel nostalgic and wanna try it. If not any other place you know in Chennai.
Thanks

Srivalli Jetti July 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM  

Thank you everybody!

Anon I wish I could get them myself!..I have no idea if they still have it..couple of years ago when I passed by that place I looked around to check out, but sadly the place has changed so much!..thanks for reminding me again of those puffs..feels good that those puffs were so good to have so many memories associated for us!

Priya July 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM  

Irresistible kulchas, makes me hungry.

Pavani July 19, 2012 at 5:12 PM  

You are right about saying:"In this age, one doesn't really give lot of importance to these things. If it's good to eat, they are just happy".
I see the difference in thinking between my MIL's cooking and mine. She is very particular about the ingredients and the way they are added to the dish and how long you cook it, I usually don't care to follow a recipe and my dishes end up different every time I make them.
Paneer kulchas look awesome. Will definitely try these soon.

Usha July 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM  

Kulchas came out perfect. I think the first time I tasted kulchas were either in Tirupati or Madras. Perhaps Tirupati, I can't remember.. It was during Tirupati & Madras trip...

ANU July 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM  

perfectly done awesoem dear!
"SYF&HWS - Cook With SPICES" Series
"South Indian Cooking" (SIC) # 1 (July 15th to Sep 15th)
"Cooking with Whole Foods" - BROWN RICE (June 10th to Aug 10th)

DivyaGCP July 19, 2012 at 7:59 PM  

Love Kulcha..
When I was in college, whenever we go out, I used to order either kulcha or ghee roast.
Paneer Kulcha looks very inviting and delicious.
Divya's Culinary Journey
Showcase- FUN IN THE SUN
Bake along challenge # 4 - Peanut Butter
Love lock series- Breads

Chef Mireille July 20, 2012 at 5:13 AM  

filling is so yummy...these look delicious!!!

Champa July 20, 2012 at 6:01 AM  

Valli,
My kids love kulchas. I had made once with the yeast dough. Have to try the baking powder one yet.

Kalyani July 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM  

lovely yummy kulchas, Valli 1


Kalyani
Sizzling Tastebuds
Hosting Walk Through Memory Lane – July 2012

Jayanthi July 20, 2012 at 11:57 AM  

The kulcha looks awesome Valli. I completely agree that kulcha and naan are like sisters. Love the way your kulchas have puffed. Awesome.

PJ July 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM  

Kulchas have come out perfectly and I am yet to try this version..

Preeti Garg July 20, 2012 at 9:59 PM  

Awesome kulcha... perfectly done

vaishali sabnani July 21, 2012 at 7:57 AM  

Valli the actual kulchas are like bread ..they are baked and are available in the north..anything besides is a variation of parathas..even the restaurants and hotels selling these are parathas with diff fillings and diff outer covers..naans of course are totally different.

Gayathri Kumar July 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM  

Looks so delicious and inviting...

Archana July 22, 2012 at 2:19 PM  

looks yum. Wish I could grab some off the screen

Cool Lassi(e) July 24, 2012 at 4:18 PM  

Drool-worthy Kulcha! Looks amazing.

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi July 25, 2012 at 5:29 PM  

Amazing looking kulchas!

Jagruti July 26, 2012 at 10:30 AM  

Puffed paneer stuffed parathas make me want some right NOW! lovely

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP