badge


Beans Carrot Poriyal Tamil Style | Carrot Beans Stir Fry Recipe

>>  Tuesday, July 10, 2012




For the second week of Blogging Marathon # 18, I have chosen to do Dry sautés with vegetables. For all the healthy eating habits I talk about to my kids, I still remember my own childhood when I hardly ever liked vegetables. The only few that I liked were Arbi, plantain etc. Amma always used to have tough time getting me eat them. So whenever I talk to my kids, I always have a guilty conscience telling me exactly the same what I was saying.

Anyway coming to the theme, for any Indian meal, the vegetables form the major part of the dishes. When you serve rice with a liquid dish, it becomes apparent that you will end up serving a dry vegetable subji as well. The poriyals or the vepudus as we call is a must as part of a thali.

Though I have already made a poriyal with beans and carrot, this simplest one is far by the hardest in terms of getting the right consistency and taste. It might appear very simple and quick to make. Agreed it is easy to make, no doubt but getting the right consistency is all about still having the vegetables very crisp and doing the right amount of tempering and seasoning.




Beans Carrot Poriyal
Beans Carrot Poriyal

Beans Carrot Poriyal

Ingredients Needed:

Beans - 1/2 cup
Carrots - 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder a pinch
Salt to taste

For the tempering
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds, Urad Dal - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Green Chilies - 2 medium

Fresh grated coconut - 2 tsp

String the beans and peel the carrot. Chop into fine pieces. In a pot of water just enough to cover the vegetables, bring the vegetables to boil. Add the vegetables along with salt and turmeric powder. Make sure the vegetables it's just reaches the par boiled stage and not over cooked.

In a non stick pan, heat oil, temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves, slit green chilies, when the mustard pops, add the boiled vegetables. Saute for couple of moments. Finally add the freshly grated coconut.


21 comments :

Vijayalakshmi Dharmaraj July 10, 2012 at 7:37 PM  

my favorite poriyal...
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

Chef Mireille July 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM  

how quick and easy - perfect!!!

The Pumpkin Farm July 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM  

this may look the most simplest stir fry to those who have not tasted it....as thats how i felt until i ate it at my tamil frd's marriage....still have the taste lingering

Nalini's Kitchen July 10, 2012 at 8:47 PM  

Simple yet delicious poriyal,my all time favorite...

Devi July 10, 2012 at 8:59 PM  

This reminds me of my childhood days so much! Mom used to make this. Now I do for my kid.. but minus carrot.. he doesn't eat carrots in poriyal.. :)

Preeti Garg July 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM  

awesome recipe...very new name for me

PJ July 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM  

This is one of my fav curry.Simple and delicious...

Priya July 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM  

One of my fav combo in poriyal,simply love it.

Gayathri Kumar July 11, 2012 at 5:17 AM  

This is my daughter's fav and mine too. Looks so inviting...

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi July 11, 2012 at 6:21 AM  

Simple no nonsense kind of curry...one of my go-to curries for the kids :)

Pavani July 11, 2012 at 7:13 AM  

Simple & delicious curry.. Healthy to boost.

DivyaGCP July 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM  

Simple and delicious stir fry. Mom used to make this.

Divya's Culinary Journey
Showcase- FUN IN THE SUN
Bake along challenge # 4 - Peanut Butter

sushma July 11, 2012 at 9:14 AM  

NIce and easy poriyal

Jayanthi July 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM  

History repeats Valli...its the same at our house also. The curry looks awesome....my fav combo of green beans and carrot. Colorful and tasty.

A Kamalika Krishmy July 11, 2012 at 1:33 PM  

Beans and carrot .. the color combo and the taste .. both are a super hit..

vaishali sabnani July 11, 2012 at 3:35 PM  

My hubby's a great fan of this poriyal..and glad that my daughter's shifted here..now she makes it for her dad..Valli..as for me I am still a kid and avoid carrots ..in veggies:D

rekhas kitchen July 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM  

Yes I know history repeats!! I like this type of poriyals with simple ingredients. Poriyal looks so beautiful with those colors.

Usha July 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM  

Poriyal looks so delicious and easy to prepare too

Cool Lassi(e) July 13, 2012 at 8:16 AM  

Great colorful poriyal. I usually add potato too.

Suma Gandlur July 14, 2012 at 5:17 AM  

This is one of my favorite veggie combos Valli.

Anonymous February 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM  

1 or 2 tsp of Urad dal will do good.

While garnish, add 4-5 small artisian onions (sambhar onion)

As usual, the secret of this recipe is SALT. Know, how much and when to add it. Practice 2 / 3 times.

- Amma samayal rasigan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP