Mixed Vegetable Pakora Recipe | Mixed Vegetable Pakoda

For the last post in the Deep Fried Vadas/ Fritters, I have this delicious pakoras that I first ate when Amma had once made almost late night. It was almost half past ten at night and I wasn't sure why she was making this that late. All I knew was, I was given these pakoras and without a second's thought we gobbled it right off. The thought of why and how came aftermath. 

Well after many days I ended up asking her how she made it and as you can imagine, it has become my favorite. I never realized that carrot and capsicum can taste so delicious on being deep fried. That only made it clear that anything deep fried will naturally taste great. 
Mixed Vegetable Pakoras
Mixed Vegetable Pakoras
This is a great party pleaser. I remember my cooking marathon at my office that we undertook for our anniversary, where I decided we could make mixed vegetable pakoras. I used Baby Corn, potatoes, paneer, Okra, Cauliflower, Onions, and the base was a different mix. And I remember my colleague who ended up frying the whole time, and it ended up being one of the most sought out. 

Somehow I wonder why I never made it at home. And remembering that taste, I guess the carrots and capsicum made all the difference.
Mixed Vegetable Pakoda


Mixed Vegetable Pakora Recipe


Ingredients Needed:

Vegetables:

Carrot - 1 no
French Beans - 10 no
Potato - 1 big
Cabbage - 1/4 head
Capsicum - 1 medium

For the Base:

Corn Flour- 1/2 cup
Chickpea flour / Besan - 1/2 cup
All purpose flour / Maida - 1/2 cup
Red chili powder- 3/4 tsp
Ginger garlic paste- 1/4 tsp
Whole Cumin Seeds - 3/4 tsp
Hot oil- 2 tsp
Salt- to taste
Water- as required (approx 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup water)

Oil- for deep frying

Preparation: 

Wash and cube the carrots into thick julienne, string the beans, cut into 1 & 1/2" pieces. Peel and cut the potatoes into thick julienne of same size, cut the cabbage into thick julienne, and remove the seeds from the capsicum and cut into julienne. All the vegetables need to be of same length.

How to make the Pakoras

In a bowl, add the besan, corn flour, maida salt, chili powder, ginger garlic paste, cumin seeds, and hot oil. Add the thick julienne mixed vegetables to this mixture and combine everything well. The vegetables will be well coated with the flour.

Slowly add little water and mix well so that the flour forms a thick coating to the vegetables. The flour consistency should not be runny.

Heat enough oil for deep frying in a heavy bottomed vessel. Check with a little piece of flour to ensure the oil is hot. 

Carefully drop the flour coated julienne vegetables into the hot oil. Add in small batches to make sure the pakoras get cooked well.

Reduce heat for couple of mins to medium and deep fry till they turn golden brown.

Use a slotted ladle to turn them and cook on both sides.

Once they turn golden brown, remove on to a kitchen towel. 

Vegetable Pakoras

Notes: 

Always add water in small amount to make sure the batter just coats and is not like bajji. The consistency should not be runny, rather the batter should just coat the vegetables. 

You can even add curry leaves, coriander leaves to the batter.

Amma normally adds Carom seeds/ Ajwain to all her bajjis, though this time cumin seeds gave a different taste.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 17

Labels: , , ,