badge


Mixed Dal Vada | Mixed Dal Masala Vada

>>  Sunday, June 3, 2012

We are starting the new Blogging Marathon Edition # 17 from today. In the new system, we will be blogging non stop for 3 days in a row and we will have 4 such weeks. All participating blogger will have to sign up for at least two weeks. They can do all four weeks as well. As always those doing 4 weeks get to do special themes, this time they can simply choose to select the posts from their Archives and redo them with new pictures, modified recipes etc.

Coming to the first week, I opted to do Deep Fried Vadas. Now anything deep fried is my favorite, though I seriously wish it was not. And among the deep fried dishes, I love Masala Vada the most and this variety was really new and very crispy. Ok if you ask if I like Pakodas, yes I like that as well. Anyway when I was doing the Thalis, I made sure I had something in common and yes as you thought I made sure to include deep fried dishes!

So the first post for today is a delicious vada that's made with 3 different lentils and it turns out to be different from your regular Masala Vada. The method is almost similar of course your proportions matter.


This was part of the Thali that Amma made for us on Akshaya Tritiya. Since the dishes were made for the festival prasadam, she made the vadas without onions. Though I don't normally observe this, Amma is very particular about not adding Onions, garlic to any of her Prasadams she offers. There was a time when I seriously used to think that I should just go ahead and make it the way we eat, all added and tasted for the right taste. 

Of course I may not do either ways now. Still when I am around Amma while preparing any prasadam, I make sure I listen to what she says.


Mixed Dal Vada / Teen Dal Vada / Masala Vada with 3 Dals

Ingredients Needed:

Toor Dal - 50 gms
Urad Dal - 50 gms
Channa Dal - 50 gms
Red chilies - 2 medium
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Hing a pinch
Curry leaves few
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying



How to make the Vada:

Wash and soak the dals for an hour.

Drain and take the dals in a mixie along with red chilies, 1/4 tsp of cumin seeds, and salt. Grind coarsly.

Transfer to a bowl, add the remaining cumin seeds, hing, curry leaves. Mix well and pat down thin discs.

Heat a kadai with oil. When it is hot, gently drop the vadas and fry on both sides.

Drain to a kitchen towel to remove excess oil.

This is best eaten while still hot.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 17


14 comments :

Shobha June 3, 2012 at 1:24 AM  

Everything in the thali looks so nice..feel like eating.
Nothing like a simple thali meal.

The Pumpkin Farm June 3, 2012 at 7:45 AM  

wow, spoilt for choice.....nice thali..mix dal wada recipe is helpful, all ingredients are easily available at home , is nice option. I too like to bend rules when it comes to cooking, but for traditional festivities it really matters...

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi June 3, 2012 at 7:45 AM  

Good one. Perfect for festivals! My mom uses cabbage instead of onions. Makes a good substitute too!

Nirmala Gurunathan June 3, 2012 at 8:00 AM  

Vadas look so crispy ....Want to have a bite...

Suma Gandlur June 3, 2012 at 9:06 AM  

Vadas look fabulous. Never tried vadas with toor and red chillies.

PriyaVaasu June 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM  

Tasty n Crunchy Vada!!!!

foodiliciousnan June 3, 2012 at 1:52 PM  

Really missing BM fun...wish I'd signed uP for for week 3 n 4 :(
Nice vada. Like harini, my ma too replaces onion with cabbage during poojas. And yes, listening to ma is mandatory! I owe all my traditional and cultural info to her and ma in law!!!

Priya June 3, 2012 at 3:41 PM  

Feel like having some crispy vadas, loving it.

PJ June 3, 2012 at 4:04 PM  

Lovely thali and yummy vada. Fried food is my fav too :)

Archana June 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM  

Sorry i missed this marathon.

rekhas kitchen June 3, 2012 at 11:56 PM  

Valli Same pinch i too posted a same vada recipe. Thali makes me hungry again.

Jayanthi June 4, 2012 at 4:17 AM  

Same here Valli, I don't mostly follow no-garlic, no-onion rules when I'm alone although I try to avoid it as much as I can. But when around amma or mil its their call. Love the vadas ..somehow I love them very much that they stick on to me as fat and live with me forever ;) .....good one Valli.

veena krishnakumar June 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM  

Loved the vada, thali especially the curry:-)

sushma June 5, 2012 at 6:28 AM  

Nice vada........loved the thali too

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP