Vegetable Biryani | Special Lunch Thali ~ Step by Step


I thought I must at least make another thali before this month ends, for making it to the Indian Thali Mela. I have really enjoyed making these thalis and the many thalis that so many bloggers have made for me. I have always been so attached to the concept of Thalis. Even when I normally don't order a thali in any restaurant, unless until out of need, I always examine my partner's thali with keen interest and try to understand what's on it.

So when I was thinking what I should select as a theme for my Cooking 4 all Seasons' 5 anniversary, I thought the Thali would be a wonderful theme. I was skeptical if others would be willing to leg out so much efforts in cooking up so many dishes on a day and on top picturing it as such.

The rules were quite clear, I wanted the whole dish to be displayed and clicked in one whole picture. Which means we had to think of plates, bowls and other props. To make things more tough, clicking a thali has always been a challenge for me, with those steel plates, katoris, it always shines and not make the food so very attractive in a homely setup.

So to test waters, I proposed this idea to my BM friends, and I was shocked, surprised and pleased that so many came forward to take it up. Can you believe I got about 98 Thalis for the event.

I am so touched that so many took upon them to recreate state specific thalis, writing so much about histories etc.

So as a last minute whim I cooked up this lunch this weekend and I was so happy with the way dishes turned out. Hubby dear was furious that I worked so much, I was able to pacify him with good food.


Since we are going to be cooking only Vegetarian Food at home for the next 28 days, I thought I should try out some recipes from Krsna Prasadams. This is a No Onion, No Garlic Recipe

I made Vegetable Biryani, Carrot Tomato Salad, Pakoda Curry, Rasam, Store bought Chocolate Ice Cream.

Step by Step Picture Recipes











Vegetable Biryani


Ingredients Needed:

Rice - 2 cups
Water - 4 cups
Ghee or butter - 1/3 cup
Tomato - 1 large
Ginger, minced - 2 tsp.
Green Chillies - 3
Turmeric a pinch

Salt to taste

Spice Powder

Fennel powder - 1/2 tsp
Cardomon, Clove, Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
Asofoetida a pinch

Mint + Green Chillies - 1/2 tsp

Vegetables:

Carrots - 1/2
Fresh Green Peas - 1/2 cup
Beans - 1/4 cup

Coriander leaves - 1/2 cup

How to make Vegetable Biryani

Wash and soak the rice for 15 mins.

Chop and grind the tomato coarsely. 

Grind ginger, mint, green chillies, in 1/4 cup of water.

Heat a heavy bottomed large vessel. Add ghee and heat the oil in medium heat.

Add the ginger, chillies mixture, slit green chilies and saute for about a minute.

Add tomato and cook in medium high heat for 2 minutes. 

Add the green peas, carrots, beans and cook for 2 minutes. Next add turmeric, asofoetida and fennel, cinnamon mixture and cook for another minute. 

Add water and bring to boil. Drain the water from the rice and add the rice and saute for 3 to 5 minutes in medium heat. 

Add coriander and mint leaves, raisins and nuts. 

Reduce the heat to low. Cover the vessel and cook until the rice is cooked (takes about 1/2 hour to 3/4 an hour depending on the rice).



Vegetable Salad with Carrot, Onion and Tomato

Vegetable Salad
Vegetable Salad with Carrot, Tomato and Onions

Ingredients Needed:

Carrot, grated - 2 long
Onions, grated - 1 medium
Tomato - 1 medium
Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
Green chilies - 1 long
Salt to taste

Grate all the vegetables and toss with green chilies, lemon juice and salt.

This is a wonderful salad that my hubby dear's guru shared and we have been making this for a while.

Sending these for my Indian Thali Mela



Labels: , , , , , , , ,