Mango Rice | Manga Sadam | Maamidikaaya Pulihora


Today we are starting the second week of BM #16, I have chosen to do a combination of Indian Thali for my Mela along with couple more themes.

The thali that's showcased today is something that's very sweet and dear to me. This happened couple of weeks ago even before I extended the Thali Mela date. It was on Akshaya Tritiya and I was supposed to eat at office, while Amma said she will call everybody else for lunch.

It so happened that we had power shutoff at office and my lunch got disappeared before I could even think about it. I returned home and was welcome with a feast. Only then I realized it was a festival and Amma had pooja. By the time we sat down for lunch, it was pretty late and looking at my plate, I almost wished that I had taken time to click a picture. Knowing that getting up at that time get everybody's wrath, I thought to myself that I must recreate that thali someother time.

Imagine my surprise when Amma asked if I saw the pictures. I couldn't understand what she was talking about. Only then hubby dear very sheepishly confessed of taking thali pictures. I was so touched, and even more happy when I saw that Daddy had decorated the pictures with fruits, as it was Akshaya Tritiya. 

The entire thali was one detectable feast and Amma had made quite a few new dishes. I was only glad that I got my whole family hooked on clicking food pictures!

We make the Mango Rice in couple of ways. The recipe that I have already posted uses coconut and green chili paste, while today's is a simple version of Mango Rice.


Mango Rice


Rice - 1 cup
Raw Mango, grated - 3/4 cup
Red chillies - 3
Green chilies - 2
Curry leaves - few
Mustard seeds, Urad dal - 1/4 tsp
Channa dal - 1 tsp
Cashew nuts - handful
Raw Peanuts - handful
Hing/ Asafoetida - a pinch
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Oil - 1 tbsp

How to make the Mango Rice

Wash, soak the rice for 15 mins. Cook rice separately and cool.

Wash and pat dry the mango, peel off the skin from the mango. Grate and keep it aside. 

Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, Urad dal, channa dal, cashewnuts and raw peanuts and saute. Stir for couple of secs, add hing, red chillies, green chillies and curry leaves. Stir couple of times and make sure the peanuts are cooked.

Next add the grated mango and fry in oil for 5 - 6 minutes until the oil starts coming out. Also add some salt and turmeric powder. Finally add rice, salt if needed and mix gently until it is well coated.

Check out other Mango Dishes


Sending these for my Indian Thali Mela

 

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 16

Labels: , , , , , , , ,