Vegetable Saagu Recipe | Mixed Vegetable Saagu for Set Dosa | Step By Step Recipe

>>  Saturday, March 31, 2012

When I decided that I was going to make the Set Dosa for the Blogging Marathon, I also wanted to make sure I made the right accompaniment for the Set dosa. When I read around, I saw that Saagu was usually made as side dish , along with some chutney. The number of Saagu recipe I went through were just too many to confuse a person.

Some were really spicy, some had loads of masala and some were bland. Not remembering the exact taste of this Saagu from our many visits to Bangalore and Mysore, I really had to just go with my instinct and adapt a recipe that will suit our taste.

I finally landed in Nams space and her recipe was just right for our preference. In fact when I was reading out the different recipes to Amma, we were mentally calculating if our folks will like it or not. When I served this to Athamma, she was telling me that Saagu at her place was differently made. I agreed knowing that I remember my nephew's liking to this particular side dish and remembered that particular incident when he and I walked in to eat our breakfast in some place. He was particularly telling me that he loves that Saagu that's offered there in that place.

Anyway coming to the recipe, I made the gravy thin to soak up the dosas, you can make it thicker if you are pairing it with Pooris or Rotis. This is one dish that will suit all. I must thank Nams for sharing this keeper recipe.

Step by Step Picture Recipe

Vegetable Saagu For Set Dosa

Ingredients Needed:

For the Masala:

Green Chillies - 4- 5
Garlic - 2-3 pods
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon - 1"
Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
Coriander - 1/2 bunch
Fried gram / Putnala pappu -  2 tbsps
Fresh Coconut, grated 1 cup


Potato - 1 medium
Peas - 1/2 cup
Carrot - 1 medium
Beans - 1/2 cup
Water - 1 cup


Mustard seeds, Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves few
Oil - 2 -3 tsp
Salt to taste

How to make the Saagu:

Wash and chop the vegetables. Microwave the potato for 6 mins, after making marks with knife on top. Chop the other vegetables into small pieces. In a microwave safe bowl, take the vegetables and add enough water, microwave for 10 mins.

For the masala paste, grind the green chillies, garlic, coconut, fried gram, cloves, cinnamon, coriander seeds and fresh coriander to a thick fine paste. Keep it aside.

Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, Urad dal and curry leaves. Add the ground paste and fry till the oil comes out on the sides. This may take couple of minutes. Then add the boiled veggies along with the water and mix well. Add salt and bring to a boil.

Serve with Set Dosa or Chapatis.


Add more water if you want a liquid gravy when serving with Dosa. Else if serving with chapati, you can simmer and make it little more thick.


Aarthi March 31, 2012 at 4:13 PM  

looks so simple...Taste great with the dosa

Shobha March 31, 2012 at 7:10 PM  

Looks similar to avial.
Set dosas..yum!

hemalata March 31, 2012 at 10:07 PM  

Yummy n healthy saagu recipe,perfect combo with dosa or chapati.

Suma Gandlur April 1, 2012 at 4:51 AM  

We almost make a similar version Valli but saagu is always on the thicker side. Poori - saagu tops my favorite breakfast list and I know that nothing can beat it. However, surprisingly, I haven't blogged about it until now. :)

Kalyani April 2, 2012 at 8:57 AM  

Poori-Saagu is a wonderful combo, and also with Set Dosa.. I make it similarly :)

Sizzling Tastebuds
Event : Pickles & Preserves Fest + Giveaway
Event : CWS - Oats

Jay April 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM  

yummy...awesome version
Tasty Appetite

Archana April 6, 2012 at 4:54 PM  

Yum yum yum. Reminds me of my Mamis cooking.

Anonymous April 29, 2012 at 2:46 AM  

that sounds yum, had misplaced my mums receips this sounds good. - am on my way to try it:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP