Onion Samosa | Onion Mini Samosa | Ullipaya Samosa - Step by Step Recipe

I had something else planned for the day, though in the end with short of time and lack of certain ingredients left me changing the plans to make these Onion Samosas. I was surprised that even after having a day completely at my disposal I wasn't able to come up with enough inspiration to make the snack that I had planned to make for Konda. The recipe was very simple but I ran out of my stock of bread. Then I ended up searching for other ideas. In the process I was reading books and Konda was surprised that I was reading and only to give me that knowing look when she saw that I was reading a cookbook. Well even reading these days are only cookbooks or something related to cooking.

She wanted to know what I was planning so I told her that I might make samosas. Then she was all eager to know if I will be able to make them for her school snacks. I said I should surely be able to make as I was only going to make them for her. As I was also planning to leave early for work, I was up early to make sure I complete the cooking before that. Though I checked if I had made these samosas with onions and had planed for a aloo stuffing, I ended up making the samosas with roasted onions. Only when I was editing the pictures did I realized that I had already prepared a samosa with roasted onions. Imagine my shock when I saw that the plate I had used was also the same! Now one saving grace was the fact that I made the outer layer and the stuffing differently. So I end up making almost the same dish again!

Onion Samosa
Guess what we loved eating them again though, so there is no harm in reading yet another version of roasted onion samosas. Since I made these only with a cup of flour, you can get this easily done within 30 mins. While I was making these I was remembering those onion samosas that I used to eat at my college canteen. Parents never knew about it then, so it was all the more fun.

Step by Step Picture Recipe














Onion Mini Samosa
Ingredients Needed
For the outer layer
All purpose Flour/ Maida - 1 cup
Ajwain / Vammu - 1 tsp (more if you like)
Salt to taste
Butter - 1 tbsp
For stuffing
Onions - 1 medium
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Chat Masala - 1/4 tsp
Amchur powder - a pinch
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste (adjust as you will add kala namak too)
Kala Namak 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Oil for deep frying
Method to prepare:
For the Ajwain outer layer
In a bowl, take flour, salt, ajwain and butter, crumble well. Slowly add water and knead to a stiff dough. Cover with a wet muslin cloth and rest it for 10 mins.
To make the roasted onions.
In a non stick pan, heat oil and add onion juliennes. Sauté till the onions turn brown. Then add all the spices and combine well. Once the onions are brown and roasted well, remove and allow it to cool.
To make the samosas.
For exact steps see Potato Peas Mini Samosa
Knead the dough again, pinch out five equal balls. On the rolling board, take the ball, dust the balls in flour, roll out thin discs. Using a sharp knife cut into 3 inch strips. Remove the sides and use with the next ball. Place a spoon of the onion stuff and roll over diagonally across and cover well.
Press the sides and make sure the outer layer covers well. Have all the samosas ready.
Heat oil in a kadai and gently slide in one samosa to check if the oil is hot. Then cook in batches and drain to a kitchen towel. Cook over medium flame to get crisp samosas.
Onion Mini Samosa
Sending this for Kid's Delight, hosted by Rujuta themed on Easy to make Snacks under 30 mins

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 14

Labels: , , , , , , ,