Neer Dosa - Pan Polo | Coconut Dosa | 101 Dosa Varieties

>>  Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pin It

For the final day of the first week of Blogging Marathon, I decided to make Neer Dosa. This is again another recipe that's been on my to do list for a long time. Though I had always planned to make this variety I never looked through the ingredients. I was surprised to note that this again had coconut in it, however since the batter is really thin, coconut water is used for the batter.

The clipping I had used ground coconut and coconut water to make the batter really thin. Also as such there is no fermentation after grinding. That way you can call this instant. And yes there comes the Vegan aspect into this! Since the batter is not fermented, it's also quite tricky to make the dosa actually. So first thing you got to ensure that the batter is really thin. So thin that when you pour, the batter should spread right away. This is almost the same texture as you do for Rava Dosa.
Since I have been making these dosas for breakfast most days, some even ended up as dinners, I was completely unprepared for the final day. Work has been hectic off late and theme being dosa, I can't be making them late night. Anyway I have really enjoyed this week's theme. I was able to cook some of my long pending items and plus discovery some very good side dishes, which are going to be prepared often. I hope you enjoyed this week along with me.

A recap of the first week, before I write the recipe

Maida Coconut Dosa | Instant Maida Dosa with Coconut
Davanagere Benne Dosa | Karnataka Style Masala Dosa
Wheat Flour Urad dal Dosa | Vegan Whole Wheat and Lentil Crepe
Perumal Koil Dosai | Azhaghar Kovil Dosai
Set Dosa Recipe
Spinach Dosa | Palak Dosa


This is another of those instant dosas where you don't have to ferment the ground batter, however you need to soak the rice for at least 4 -5 hours or overnight. You can make the dosas the moment you grind it along with coconut. Just ensure you make the batter really thin and you have patience to cook it in low flame.


Neer Dosa

Ingredients Needed

Raw Rice - 1 cup
Fresh Coconut - 1/2 cup
Water - 3 cups
Salt to taste
Oil for cooking

How to make the dosa

Wash and soak the rice overnight. When grinding, first add grated coconut with half of the rice and grind to a smooth paste by adding waer, then slowly add rest of the rice and some more water, make sure you have very smooth batter.

Transfer to a bowl. add salt and more water if required

Heat a tawa and pour a ladleful of batter once the griddle is hot. Flip and cook on both sides in low medium flame.

Serve with chutney



Notes:

If coconut water is available you can also include that, about a cup of coconut water can replace the water.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 14


17 comments :

Vandana Rajesh March 22, 2012 at 4:34 PM  

The neer dosa looks very nice Srivalli..I like to make these in my appam chatty and steam it like appam (for actually the ingredients for this are same as appam minus the yeast and fermentation)and comes out really well. The chutney too looks so delicious.

Rajani March 22, 2012 at 6:38 PM  

This has been in my bookmark list for a long time. Since I made coconut dosa this time, I didn;t make this.

Your dosa has a really silky look. Love it.

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi March 22, 2012 at 6:42 PM  

Good one Valli. Thoroughly enjoyed all the dosas dished out this past week.!

Suja Manoj March 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM  

Healthy and delicious dosa,neer dosa is one of my favorites.

Chef Mireille March 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM  

wow...so thin...almost looks like Malaysian Roti Canai (which I LOVE) have to try this one!

Aarthi March 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM  

nice simple dosa..looks so soft

PriyaVaasu March 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM  

Must be an aromatic dosa!!! Loved the dosa varieties!!!

veena krishnakumar March 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM  

soooo thin. love this dosa. May be next dosa marathon i will do this!!!!

The Pumpkin Farm March 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM  

I love Neer dosas...and dont miss them whenever they are available at office canteen...your recipe seems pretty simple and worth a try, thanks

Jayanthi March 22, 2012 at 11:59 PM  

The color of the dosa has come out so well like aapam. Looking so nice, good one.

Rasi March 23, 2012 at 3:12 AM  

Almost on similar lines of Thengai dosa..I love this one.. in managlorean hotels, they serve this bitter guard gojju.. its to die for :)

Ongoing Event : I'm The Star

vaishali sabnani March 23, 2012 at 8:00 AM  

I have always been fascinated with this one...but never tried..with this post I am inspired to try..look yum!!

Archana March 23, 2012 at 12:14 PM  

Looks yummy. Somehow I have never tried neer dosa.

vidhas March 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM  

i have not tasted this. sounds yum.

Kalyani March 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM  

very nice Valli.. been wanting to try this for a long time now :)

loved your Dosa Series , Valli !


Kalyani
Sizzling Tastebuds
Event : Holi Fest – Colourful Palette
Event : Bake Fest # 5

Suma Gandlur March 27, 2012 at 2:39 AM  

Neer dose look really good.

Degchi March 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM  

Neer dosa looks soft moist and super white in color. I liked this snow-white dosa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP