Green Papaya Kura | Boppayakaya Kura

>>  Thursday, March 8, 2012

I have always eaten Papaya as a fruit and never ventured into making a curry with it. Recently when Athamma found herself with a bunch of these, she wanted to make a curry and brought it home. Then she realized that she didn't remember how to go about making this. So Amma ended up making it and as thought, she followed the andhra way of making a subzi with ground nut powder pound with garlic. 

I never realized that a papaya will be so delicious as a curry too until I tasted this. I know this is surely going to be a regular at home. 

Have you ever tried this spicy curry with Papaya? If not I recommend you to make this and enjoy!

Ingredients Needed:

Raw Papaya - 1 cup
Onions - 1 medium
Curry leaves few
Mustard Seeds, Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Garlic cloves - 3 -4
Roasted Ground nuts - 1/4 cup
Chili powder - 3/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 3/4 tsp
Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tsp

How to make Green Papaya Kura

Wash and peel the outer green peel of the Papaya. Dice into 2 inch cubes.

In a non stick pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. When the mustard pops, add the finely chopped onions, saute till it turns colour. Then add the diced papaya, salt and turmeric. Cover with a lid and cook in sim.

In a mixer, powder ground nuts, garlic along with red chili powder, coriander powder.

When the papaya turns soft, this takes about 10 mins in simmer, add the ground spices and combine everything well.

Cover again and cook for 5 more mins.

Serve with Chapatis.


Rasi March 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM  

Never had this .. should try..

Ongoing Event: I'm a STAR

Paaka Shaale March 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM  

I have never tried anything with raw papaya. After seeing your curry, I guess it's high time I did :)

Chef Mireille March 8, 2012 at 11:58 AM  

I've never had it in a curry but green papaya is used a lot in Thai cuisine, so I have had it in all sorts of savory Thai dishes

Hemavathi Murari March 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM  

Great recipe, seeing it for the first time.

Happy Women's Day - 2012

Archana March 8, 2012 at 5:33 PM  

Must try this.
Now I am going down to check if my neighbors tree has any papayas. :) I can imagine her ire when she catches me removing 1 of the many she has. Stupid they can be right.
(I can be a devil too I accept).

Aarthi March 8, 2012 at 8:22 PM  

Awesome Recipe Dear..Bookmarking it to try soon..


Preeti Garg March 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM  


visit @my blog for my first event in ur free time :-)
Ongoing Event--Color n Sweet-HOLI FEST
Preeti's Kitchen Life

sangee vijay March 9, 2012 at 3:32 AM  

My grandmom use to make thoran with this...curry sounds interesting...
Spicy Treats
OnGoing Event:kitchen Chronicles - Summer Splash
Ongoing Event : HITS~Fiber Rich Foods

Smitha March 9, 2012 at 3:59 AM  

the recipe sounds delicious! MIL told me about this as they had a papaya tree in their backyard while my hubby was growing up!

Swati Sapna March 11, 2012 at 1:23 AM  

I actually love raw papaya curry! Your version with garlic and groundnuts sounds delicious... We make something called "Bopasakaya Avakoora". Am sure you will love it! Its spicy and delicious - here's a link to the recipe on my blog

rajeev ranjan November 2, 2012 at 12:29 AM  

Great dish... I cooked this for my dad today and he seemed happy.... Thanks a lot and plz post some more Indian dish which are healthier and for diabetic ppl. Thanks a ton.. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP