Vennai Puttu ~ Specialty From Tamil Nadu | How to make Vennai Puttu / Rice Flour Jaggary Pudding Step By Step Recipe | Indian Cooking Challenge for January
>> Wednesday, February 15, 2012
She also referred me to Nirmala's post on Vennai Puttu. Nirmalas has mentioned that her mom makes it so well. Personally knowing Nirmal I can say this must have been a great recipe. Both the recipes are almost very similar except for few minor differences. I further made few more additions myself, which I must say ended up great!
Raw rice - 1/2 cup
Grated jaggery - 1/2cup
Cardamom powder a pinch
Sliced fresh coconut pieces - 1 tbsp
Cooked channadal - 2 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tsp
Ghee for greasing.
How to make Vennai Puttu
Soak the raw rice for three hours, grind as fine paste with half cup of water. The batter should be very smooth
Make a jaggery syrup with jaggery and quarter cup of water, strain the syrup and keep aside. Soak and pressure cook channa dal, keep it aside.
Bring boil 2cups of water in a thick bottomed vessel, now add the grounded rice paste and cook in medium flame until the rice paste gets well cooked/
Keep stirring, as otherwise the batter will thicken to hard mass.
When you find that the rice flour is almost mixed well, add the jaggery syrup, cooked channa dal,cardamom powder, give a stir and cook until it turns as mass and gets off from the vessel,
Add a tsp of ghee, coconut pieces, give a stir and put off the stove. Pour this thick mass of rice jaggery paste to a greased plate, let them gets cool completely..
Slice it into smaller serving pieces.
- For 1 cup, jaggary was to be 1/2 cup. But while making the dish I realized it has to be little more sweet. So almost used up 1/2 cup of jaggary. So check and adjust the sweet.
- The moment the rice paste gets into the hot water, you will find that it becomes solid and forms lumps. You got to break it and mix well.
- The channa dal should be retaining it's shape.
- After making it you will surely feel that this is Rice flour halwa.
- Channadal should be in shape, its reassembles quite like halwa or pudding..you need ghee to fry the cashews and greasing the plate.
- In both the versions, there didn't add ghee while cooking. We realized that ghee will give a good taste. So added it.
To all my ICC members, please link your Vennai Puttu post to Mr. Linky.