Chana (Chole) Masala Rice | Curried Chickpea Rice ~ Indian Style | Easy Lunch Recipes for Kids | Step by Step Recipe

For the second day I decided to make Channa Masala Rice. The inspiration again for this comes from my Sil who said this was part of the regular lunch box she makes. She said it becomes even simpler as she makes a gravy for the morning breakfast and rice for the afternoon lunch. Wish it was so simple at my place.

Anyway I didn't actually note down what she adds so when it was time for me to make, I decided I might as well make use of the store bought channa masala and mix cooked rice. I was sure it will end up being very tasty. As expected Konda liked it so much. I packed some baked chips as the side and you can imagine how wonderful it must have been.





After making it, I had kept a little for us to taste and I really wished I had the sense to make it for ourselves also. The box you see is Konda's lunch box in strawberry mold. It came with it's own fork and spoon, unfortunately lost the fork, the pretty spoon is what you see being used in the Chocolate Kulfi

Apart from the food that we pack in, it's also the boxes that interest the kids. I have always noticed that they are very happy when I get them new ones or keep changing. If the boxes are attractive, then there is no fussing about it. That reminds me of a post I did with attractive plates and bowls for the kids.












Channa Masala Rice  | Curried Chickpea Rice

Cooked Rice - 1 cup
Boiled Channa - 3/4 cup
Onion - 1/2 medium
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/4 tsp
Channa masala - 1/4 tsp
Red chili powder - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric a pinch
Coriander leaves
Ghee - 1/4 tsp

How to make Channa Masala Rice

We are assuming you already have cooked rice at hand. Else wash and soak rice for 15 mins, pressure cook till done.

Channa/ chickpea needs to be soaked overnight or at least six hours. This also can be done ahead and refrigerated for using when you want to make this rice.

To make the rice:

Heat a non stick pan with oil. Saute onions till it turns brownish, add ginger garlic paste, cook for couple of minutes. 

Add finely chopped tomatoes and salt turmeric powder. Simmer and cover with lid. Cook till the tomatoes are soft and cooked. Add rest of the masalas, combine everything well.

Finally add the drained cooked channa and mix. Simmer for couple of minutes for the masalas to steep in.

Next add cooked rice and combine, finally add the coriander leaves.

This was Peddu's Lunch box and Breakfast

Notes:

As both channa and rice is cooked ahead, you can either use the water from chana for cooking rice. 
Use tomato puree instead of whole tomatoes for cooking faster and also to remove the skin.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 13

Labels: , , , , , , , ,