badge


Vermicelli Vegetable Biryani | Semiya Biryani with Vegetables | Step by Step Recipe

>>  Monday, July 18, 2011

Vermicelli was almost a staple ingredient in Amma's kitchen. Even when she used to make Semiya Upma, I made sure I had something else to eat and avoided vermicelli with vengeance. Then when I had my own kitchen, I realised what a saver vermicelli is, at times. Even then I didn't make it often enough. On the other hand, Athamma loves this and always keeps reminding me that I should get it in the regular grocery.

For all the dislike I had hearing the name, I actually end up eating it well when Amma or Athamma makes it. My problem has always been in making it too soggy. So I happily let Athamma cook this anytime she wants. She makes the best Vermicelli pulao, and the upma that Amma makes comes out awesome.

With this many varieties, I felt I should check out what the pack cover recipe talks about and found this biryani listed out. I have been wanting to make this for over months. As hubby dear has changed his eating habit and takes tiffin for lunch, this worked out really well. Since I used roasted variety it ended up being very quick and simple.


Step by Step Recipe









 

Vermicelli Biryani | Semiya Biryani with Vegetables

Ingredients Needed:

Roasted Vermicelli / Semiya - 2 cups
Vegetables, finely chopped - 1 cup (Carrot, Beans, Peas and potatoes)
Onions - 1 medium
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Green Chilis - 2 medium
Coriander powder - 3/4 tsp
Tomato - 2 small
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon stick - 1"
Shahjeera - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Coriander leaves - some
Water - 3 & 1/2 cups

Method to prepare:

Take oil in a non stick pan, add all the whole spices. Then add chopped onions, saute well, followed by the ginger garlic paste. Cook for couple of mins til the raw smell leaves.

Meanwhile chop vegetables, micro for 10 mins.

Then add cooked vegetables, saute till the vegetables are dry. Then add the coriander powder, turmeric powder and mix everything well together. Then add water and bring to boil. Finely chopped coriander leaves can be added at this stage. Cover with lid and bring to boil.

Once the water starts boiling, add roasted vermicelli and mix well. Simmer with the lid covered. Stir in between.

Serve warm or cold


Notes: Cooking the vegetables in microwave speedups the cooking. If you can't micro, then add to the pan and cook till the vegetables are tender. In that case you can increase the water to 1:2 ratio.
I personally felt that instead of whole spices, I should have added them as powder as I don't normally like to munch on these and it also makes a job easy when you want to feed this to kids.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#7


21 comments :

Kadhyaa... July 18, 2011 at 5:36 PM  

thats my favourite breakfast

Taste Junction July 18, 2011 at 5:46 PM  

I agree on vermicelli being one of those life saver ingredients. Best part is that it can be adapted in any way and substituted for so many things!! Nice recipe!

Jayashree July 18, 2011 at 6:05 PM  

ditto on avoiding this when my mother made it and using it frequently now.

PJ July 18, 2011 at 6:21 PM  

This is a nice version. I have never tried it. I always prefer thayir semiya to the regular semiya upma. This looks good too...

Suma Gandlur July 18, 2011 at 7:30 PM  

I love vermicelli and also have that wrapper with biryani recipe saved to try.
I usually go with 1 and quarter cup of water for each cup of vermicelli I use to avoid it being mushy / soggy.

harini-jaya July 18, 2011 at 7:45 PM  

for me semiya is a staple and semiya upma is a regular at home! I cook semiya like pasta and I feel that ensures that the semiya doesn't get gooey and retains the shape :)

Veena Aravind July 18, 2011 at 7:55 PM  

this is a very good recipe for the kids..all veges..in rice noodles..!! nice one :)

Suja July 18, 2011 at 8:17 PM  

Unique recipe..looks delicious..

Divya.M July 18, 2011 at 8:26 PM  

even i used to prepare such semiya once in a while... colour really attracts valli

Neha July 18, 2011 at 9:38 PM  

looks yummy....

Nithya July 18, 2011 at 9:50 PM  

This is pretty interesting :) I tried making briyani of similar kind with idiyappam but making it with semiya is a lovely idea too :)

Sin-A-Mon (Monika) July 18, 2011 at 9:57 PM  

thats my son's favorite :)

MEC - Potato Feast

Krithi's Kitchen July 19, 2011 at 2:01 AM  

Semiya upma is a quick and easy recipe.. love with lot of vegetables.
Event: Serve It - Grilled/Barbequed/Tandoored

thekitchenaffaire July 19, 2011 at 2:53 AM  

Thats a yummy recipe.. Never tried this.. :)

divya July 19, 2011 at 5:23 AM  

Healthy and tasty dish..Looks great!

Vardhini July 19, 2011 at 5:29 AM  

I recently made this and my son loved it. I love that it cooks pretty quick.

Vardhini
Event: Fast food not Fat food

ANU July 19, 2011 at 5:35 AM  

yes always been a life saver for me...when thinking of breakfast

Reshmi Mahesh July 19, 2011 at 6:01 AM  

Love vermicelli upma...Its easy to prepare on busy days...and really tasty...You have given a nice descriptive post on that...

Gayathri Kumar July 19, 2011 at 10:11 AM  

Very delicious biryani..

Hari Chandana July 19, 2011 at 10:38 AM  

Lovely recipe.. Looks perfect !!
Indian Cuisine

Mom Chef July 19, 2011 at 11:02 AM  

love this anytime :-) although hubby detests sevai, your bambino packet reminds me of one lying in my pantry to be used soon ;)

Kalyani
New Event: Indian Mithai Mela ending 8th Aug
Ongoing Event : Dish it out- Mushroom and Onions – all this July

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP