>> Friday, May 13, 2011
Slowly the traditions gave way to store bought treats as we saw that we can now get a wide variety of stuff which we otherwise may not be able to make at home. Though for sharing with neighbors we order outside, we still have something to be prepared at home. For such occasions, laddos made with different ingredients are really the best choice.
The traditional laddos made with besan batter will be out of order, but you can still make quick ladus with just about anything. This quick laddos are made with Rice flour and jaggary. You can also make them with sugar. The choice is yours entirely but these are really super fast!
Making Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 10 ping pong sized balls
Shelf Life:Can be stored for a week in a container
Rice Flour - 1 cup
Grated Jaggary - 1 cup
Cardamom powder a pinch
Roasted Mixed dry nuts - 1/2 cup (opt)
Ghee - 1 tsp
Method to prepare:
- Wash and soak the rice for 10 mins. Shade dry it for 30 mins or till its almost dry. Grind it to a fine powder in your mixer jar. Sieve to get a fine powder.
- Grate the jaggary and mix with the rice flour. Run it again in the mixer jar. With the moist in the jaggary you will get a thick mass.
- Remove to a bowl, mix in the cardamom powder, mix well.
- If you are adding the nuts, break them into tiny bits, and roast them in 1 tsp of ghee. The more crunchy they taste better.
- Add the roasted nuts to the rice and jaggary mix. Gather as balls of ping pong size ones.
- Press hard to make them hold together. Store in an air tight box if something is left!
- Ready made flour might also work out well. But it might be little too dry. So you can use jaggary that is little moist.
- Since we are adding the jaggary directly you can't remove the impurities that will be present. I haven't tried out other ways of making it. But ensure I buy that modeled ones which doesn't have sand in it.
- It is better to get the rice flour ready and then mix, else the mixture might become runny
Check out the Blogging Marathoners doing BM#5 along with me
Curry in a hurry under 30 min: Cool Lassi(e), Harini, Kalyani, Priya Mahadevan, Suma
Seven Days of Colorful Dishes Kid's Special: Priya Suresh, Veena,
Seven Days of Indian Sweets: Shylaja, Srivalli
Seven Days of Regional Specials: Priya Yallapantula
Under 15 mins Quick Breakfast:Aarthi, Vaishali