badge


Pappula Boorellu - Fried Gram Dumplings

>>  Monday, March 7, 2011

This was one of the snack that Athamma made hoping my kids will love to eat. Given the fact that my kids never at most times prefer a sweet dish, she hoped to lure them saying their cousins love to eat this. Even that didn't tempt them enough to eat this. But the fact that my nephew and nieces love this, mean most kids will love it right, only my kids don't like sweets. And yes whatever was made I finished it and naturally it was yum!

Weekend was hectic and Konda is busy preparing for her exams. It's going to get pretty busy at home with the kids exams.



Ingredients Needed:

For the outer layer

Maida / All purpose flour- 1 cup
Salt a pinch

For the stuffing

Fried Gram / Pappula podi - 1/2 cup
Jaggary - 1/2 cup
Cardamon a pinch
Grated Coconut - 2 tsp
Ghee as required / Milk as required
Oil for deep frying

Method to prepare:

Grind the fried gram coarsely. Melt the jaggary to remove the scum and heat in a pan, when it starts coming together, add the coarse fried gram powder, keep stirring.

Add the cardamon, grated coconut, mix well. The mix should come out as thick so as to easily dip in the flour. Add milk if required. Divide into small equal balls.

To make the outer batter, in a bowl, take the all purpose flour, add salt. Slowly add water as required to make a dropping batter.

Heat a pan with oil, when it is hot enough, dip the fried gram balls into the maida batter, gently drop into the hot oil.

Cook on both sides and remove when it turns golden.




Check out the bloggers doing the Marathon along with me..
Group 1  
30 Minutes Meals: Gayathri Anand
Baked Goods: Monika,
For On Going Events: Gayathri Kumar, Usha  
Kids Friendly: PJ, Savitha, Smitha, Veena Aravind  and me
Rice Varieties: Champa, Divya, Padma

Group 2
30 Minutes Meals:Priya Mahadavan, Pavani,
Seven Days of Salad: lla, Divya Vikram,
For Ongoing 7 Events: Priya Suresh, Suma Gandlur, Harini,  
Kids Friendly: Vatsala, Jay, Kamalika
Seven Days of Rice: Veena Krishnakumar, Priya Vaasu, Padma Rekha,


25 comments :

savitha ramesh March 7, 2011 at 7:33 AM  

yummy ,delicious dumplings.Sure healthy too.

VeenaAravind March 7, 2011 at 7:37 AM  

this is one of my fav.I used to use the filling of channa dal. This is interesting and easier..:)

harini-jaya March 7, 2011 at 7:41 AM  

mouthwatering boorelu !!

Smitha March 7, 2011 at 7:43 AM  

i make this most of the time...my kids too like anything spicy more than sweet stuff....but that stays only to indian cos they will finsh off cakes and cookies!

Smitha
Smitha's Spicy Flavors

Champa March 7, 2011 at 7:47 AM  

I am sure I would love these.

SravsCulinaryConcepts March 7, 2011 at 8:10 AM  

delicious and nice boorellu

The Foodie March 7, 2011 at 9:52 AM  

I really like this a lot..have not tried with fried gram though...thanks for sharing this.

Gayathri Kumar March 7, 2011 at 10:22 AM  

Delicious dumplings..

rekhas kitchen March 7, 2011 at 11:10 AM  

this filling for burelu sounds very interesting Valli never tried with friedgram hope your kids enjoyed them love it.

My attempt at The Julie/Julia project March 7, 2011 at 11:13 AM  

Yummy, delicious and crispy boorelu... i used to have these in pongal season at home.. i am nostalgic now :)

Priya March 7, 2011 at 1:19 PM  

Feel like having some eventhought its on 8.50am for me,my fav..

Divya.M March 7, 2011 at 2:25 PM  

yummy ......its a wonderful snack....

Jayashree March 7, 2011 at 6:46 PM  

It's been ages since I ate this....you've just reminded me that I need to make this soon.

Usha March 7, 2011 at 7:23 PM  

I do remember eating these back home and I was not a big fan of indian sweets back then... I was more of a desserts person, cakes and ice creams.. But now, anything sweet is divine to me.. delicious boorellu!

divya March 7, 2011 at 7:42 PM  

looks yummy and delicious...

Krithi's Kitchen March 7, 2011 at 7:59 PM  

Delicious boorelu... My grandma makes this with chanadhal and we call it as suyyam...

http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com

Sonia March 7, 2011 at 8:12 PM  

Great dumplings, I need to give it a shot soon !

Latha March 7, 2011 at 8:53 PM  

Love this snack. Looks very yummy!

Gayathri Anand March 7, 2011 at 10:30 PM  

haven't tried it with fried gram looks yummy

Harika's Kitchen March 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM  

Delicious dumplings......

Padma March 8, 2011 at 1:49 AM  

Healthy and delicious boorelu. Can understand how it is when kids say no to these type of snacks.

Suma Gandlur March 8, 2011 at 3:42 AM  

My 9 year old daughter is also a member of the "I don't even want to look at sweets" club. I know that it is hard to lure kids if they are not interested.
BTW I would have enjoyed that plate of boorelu. :)

Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal March 8, 2011 at 10:23 PM  

They look great and delicious dear. Even my kids do not like anything sweet, so we are on the same boat.

veena krishnakumar March 9, 2011 at 9:14 AM  

Have never tasted this. My daughter is finicky about eating sweet dishes except ofcourse chocolates:-), i think i will try this out for her....

Archana March 11, 2011 at 1:08 PM  

Yummy! I love sweets but no one home likes them except for cakes and chocolates. So trying this out is terribly risky. On the brighter side my friends at work will love them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP