>> Sunday, February 7, 2010
I know I wrote lot of my resolutions yet this was not mentioned. Those were work related yet personal too.
I have made lot of progress towards what I wanted to do. Like recording what comes to mind or some events that seem important end of the day. Beginning this year, I made my mind to experience every day in the most possible way I can. These 37 days have been good in ways I may not have even done my last year. I have made lot of progress in many areas.
Though one main aspect that I wanted to talk about was the goal of getting healthier and loosing more weight. If you must know, obese and I are twin sisters. There I said it. For many years I have been touchy on the word. Most common I know. I am the most affable and approachable person you can meet, if I may say so myself. Yet though I won't show it, I do get affected when somebody teases me on that. During teens there were many reasons for wishing to be obese, those reasons best not said. Yet it became the bane of my life.
Fact is, in the end, I suffered. Though I was obese, I was the healthiest and very flexible person because of my physical activities. Being a Badminton player helped me being fit as a fiddle.
After marriage, child, everything stopped and after my twins the problem had become worse. Until one fine day I was told I shouldn't sit down due to my severe knee pain. I managed, just about somehow. Finally after a year, I decided I had enough and got on a diet and a program that was meant to take care of the excess weight. And become more healthy. The first week felt I was in heaven! The feeling continued for many months.
I lost about 33 lb/ 15 kgs in the first 4 months. then slowly got down further 2 -3 kgs in the next 2 months. I reached a plateau at two different stages, which I managed well. At this stage Athamma had an accident which prevent me from following my diet and everything went for a toss. This was in April 2009, after which I have maintained my weight and health to great extent.
The diet I followed was a Diabetic Diet, charted with consultation with my father, who is a doctor and a dietician. Finally the diet I arrived and followed was mostly what I have formed of my own with their advise.
Somewhere during mid of last year I came across Kay's blog, where she tracked her plan. I felt I should have tracked mine too. Now I get another chance to do exactly that!.
- First and foremost, never to fast or feast. Or stay hungry without food.
- Spend atleast 15 to 20 minutes eating your food. This applies for drinking liquids also.
- Drink atleast 2-3 liters of water. This helps flush out toxic and prevent headaches.
- Exercise or walk for 30 - 40 mins everyday.
- Never get emotionally tensed. Be occupied in some activity mentally and physically. This helps a lot in your weight loss and path to healthy life.
- Forget about Sugar!
- Use only about 2 tsp of oil for cooking per day.
- Cereals like Rice, Corn, Maida/APF, Noodles etc.
- No sweets or desserts
- Chocolates and ice creams, yes I know its depressing but really no!
- Bakery and pastries.
- Aerated beverages and soft drinks, and Hard drinks too..:))
- Fruits like Mango, Grapes, Jackfruit, chikko, Banana, etc. Though I have reserve against this list.
- Root vegetables like potatoes, yam. colacassia. Rest of them can be had in limited amount.
- Deep fried foods, yeah I shouldn't even say the name out!
- No Dry fruits, this again will be revisited.
- Fruit Juices.