>> Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Back home, it felt strange yet fun to be at home by afternoon. As expected hubby dear came home too. So after a restful afternoon nap, Chinnu was feeling much better. When Peddu came home, he came running in to see Chinnu. I was happy seeing Chinnu at least eat something for his dinner. So as a treat I decided to make them Masala Poha. They simply love this dish and that makes it so much easy for me.
This is completely a kids version of Masala Poha or Poha Upma that's normally served. But cooking for them with extra attention to details!
Making this way, gets them not say they have "Tool" (skin) in their food!
Thick Poha / Beaten Rice/ Atukulu - 1 cup
Onions - 1 quarter, diced into big pieces.
Curry leaves - 3-4
Red Chili powder - quarter tsp or 1 Green Chilies chopped in middle
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Oil - -1- 2 tsp
Ghee/ Butter - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds+ Urad dal - 1/4 tsp (opt)
Method to prepare
- Wash and soak the thick poha for 10 mins. Drain to remove all water. Using a fork run through it make it fluffy.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add in the mustard seeds if you are using. I skip this as last time the boys refused these!
- Add in the diced onions chunks. Sauté well. Add in the salt and turmeric. Mix well.
- Then add G. Chilies or R. chilies which ever you are using.
- Simmer for 2 mins. Add in the drained poha. Combine everything well. Add in the ghee and cover the pan and simmer for 5 mins.
This is not only a Kids treat but quick for Bachelors too!
Will be back with a new Dosa soon, until then enjoy!